1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Yellow Perch?

Discussion in 'Fish' started by adam.francis, Apr 22, 2011.

1. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

hey everyone,

I might be able to get my hands on some Yellow Perch, does anyone here have any experience or advise on this fish?

thanks!

adam

2. SolTun

SolTun Member

3. scottefontay

scottefontay Member

I know that Growing Power in Milwaukee cultures them as well as Tilapia in their AP systems and have heard of others as well. They have beem cultured in RAC systems extensively in the Midwest (US) and there is one company (can't remember the name, in Indiana I think) that has supposedly selectively bred a line that is larger and faster growing than wild stock.

The major difficulty with yellow perch that I have heard from several large RAC farmers in New York State is that it is difficult to find feed trained fingerlings and generally expensive when you do. The two that have successfully (in a business sense) raised them also propogated their own stock in outdoor ponds so they had a large amount of fingerlings. They do not take to feed as readily as bluegill.

But by all means, give it a go. If they are not trained already you could try starting them on a mix of frozen brine shrimp, blood worms, black worms etc and pellets to get them trained.

4. SolTun

SolTun Member

5. kellenw

kellenw Member

Yellow perch can work pretty well, provided they are pellet trained. They can be pretty cannibalistic at smaller sizes, so it's pretty important to get very tightly graded fish if at all possible. Still, growth rates from one fish to the next can be somewhat variable, so you may need to grade them yourself about every 4-6 weeks. As far as table quality, they are one of the best in my opinion.

6. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

hmmm.. thanks for the responses guys! did some more reading on yellow perch.. they seem a little too high maintenance for my liking..