1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

worms in my GB

Discussion in 'Commercial Systems' started by robert Shark, Mar 4, 2012.

1. robert Shark

robert Shark New Member

about a month ago I started to clean out my GB as I was taking out my old plants so I was digging into the gravel and as i did I noticed these little red worms maybe a 1/4 of an inch they were real small hundreds of them the thing is my system is in a greenhouse and i didn't introduce these into my system, for that matter I have never seen worms like this before, does anyone know about these worms, washed out that Gb so they are gone but the other two GB's have them I think they are helping my system, I can say they haven't hurt it.
    like to what kind of worm they are

2. bigfish

bigfish Member

Hi there do you have a photo off them

3. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

Probably "reg wrigglers".. sometimes called "tiger worms".... Eisenia fetida...

Commonly called/used as compost worms... they're the bees knees of worms...

4. Coinshop

Coinshop New Member

We put some red wrigglers in our systems last year... just a handful in each system.
    We bought the worms to use for composting.. and we have large totes that we put our cut leaves and extra plants into.
    Our worms in there have done great. We started with one tote... we now have eight! Within one year we have gone from about one pound of worms (that we bought on ebay, and it turns out the seller lives about 20 miles from us... funny)
    Now I would estimate we have well over 80 pounds of worms in the totes. Yes we use the worm castings and make worm tea, that we sell to folks.
    But back to our systems. We have a small pile of 3/4 gravel where our water pours into the system..... kind of a dam to trap fish waste (by the way it works great) like a settling drum.
    So we put a handful in both systems last year... as time went on, we would find worms sometimes in the netpots when we pull produce... sometimes in the rafts, just wandering around eating the waste/algae off the bottom.
    But the Great part of this story is, early this year we found a leak in our upper raft... and yes, we did it with a piece of equipment, so as always be careful. So we needed to put new liner, we drained the raft, removed the rafts and produce, and then got ready to put in the new liner. So our pile of gravel had to come out... we started to take the gravel out handful by handful, and put it into 5 gallon buckets. As we started digging into the gravel... WOW... there were THOUSANDS of worms... all happy and eating the fish poo..... Probably 15-20 pounds of worms!!! They are doing their job!
    So we are now harvesting worms from both systems about once a month, and take about 5 pounds of worms each time.
    Just free product, and the fish poo break down that they are doing.
    So I would HIGHLY recommend putting worms into your systems.

5. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    I'm not sure i understand your setup.... The rocks these worms were in.... Was it a flood drain system? Were the worms under water a lot?

6. Gratilla

Gratilla Member

If the worms are:

"...maybe a 1/4 of an inch, they were real small..."

they're more likely bloodworms rather than red wigglers. A pic will settle it.

There are pics on this forum; search "bloodworms".

7. Coinshop

Coinshop New Member

worms.jpg rocks.jpg rocks2.jpg

Robert123,
    The worms are in the deep water... they are under water all the time.
    I will try to load a photo.
    We have our fishtank on the top of our system, and the overflow goes into a gravel pile (held back by a brick wall).
    And all the fish waste goes into this gravel pile and most gets trapped in the rocks. The worms are under the rocks and work the fish waste.