1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Vanishing leaves! Need help!

Discussion in 'What Pest is that ?' started by alvin, Jan 22, 2014.

1. alvin

alvin Member

Philippines
    State:
    bukidnon
    City:
    Malaybalay
    Planted some celosia flower on AP and some on seeding bag. they are growing well, but after yesterday night some leaves have been eaten, then today in the afternoon more leaves have been eaten. what would eat leaves. rat or bird or both? pest eat leaves so fast and in huge quantity.

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      505.4 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      504.5 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      381 KB
      Views:
  2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Could be rats or grass hoppers.

3. alvin

alvin Member

Philippines
    State:
    bukidnon
    City:
    Malaybalay
    yes. probably rats since AP is on the 3rd floor. hope they can still recover.
    anyone have a good way killings rats? trapping them only works a few times, other rats wont go near traps after they see one of their own gets trap.

4. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    I had trouble with caterpillars, but the damage on your plants appears ti be more random? definatelt some kind of leaf miner - caterpillar, larvae or earwig perhaps? If you don't see the bug itself easily, then I lean towards earwig. Does the damage normally occur at night? Have you seen any around? They like to hide in the mornings.

5. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Good call Robert,
    Earwigs are active at night. During the day they hide in cracks in damp areas. They live under rocks and logs and in mulch in flowerbeds. Earwigs eat plants and insects.
    There are also species of earwigs which will attack plants, especially seedlings. These tender shoots are good food for earwigs. The earwig damage can be seen on some crop and garden plants, and the damage can injure the plant to the point of making it unproductive.
    upload_2014-1-23_5-0-11.png upload_2014-1-23_5-0-11.png

6. alvin

alvin Member

Philippines
    State:
    bukidnon
    City:
    Malaybalay
    I did not see any earwigs or bugs, but saw another baby plant uprooted. majority of the damage plant was on the tray and some on the AP. they only target the celosia not the cherry tomato and water melons.
    It is probably the birds. sad, but that is how it is. will make some makeshift scare crow or something similar.

Attached Files:

• 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      409.1 KB
      Views:
    • 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      429.9 KB
      Views:
    • 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      391.2 KB
      Views:
  7. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    If you are sure it is birds, put up some netting. Simple, easy solution.

8. BenjaminHD

BenjaminHD New Member

I'm experiencing a similar problem. I have worked out that I think the cause are grasshoppers. See attached. I cleared out the growbed because it had all gone a bit stagnant. Planted fresh kale, English spinach, silverbeet, coz lettuce and other leafy vegies. First the English spinach was wiped out. A few bites out of the silverbeet but the kale appears to be next on the block. I can only imagine it has some size because there are some shoots from the kale which appear to have been moved...so after reading this thread, I'm thinking: could it be rats or mice? I have seen indicators of rat or mice activity (droppings) in the shed and we live in an older area so there are bound to be rats everywhere....[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

9. alvin

alvin Member

Philippines
    State:
    bukidnon
    City:
    Malaybalay
    if its been eaten all the way and have something to climb on its rats, if its pulled and chipped its birds. but most probably you know the best answer to this, since your in the area. mine was birds, discovered this by checking every 3 hours during the day.

10. BenjaminHD

BenjaminHD New Member

Thanks. I'm going to set some rat traps and see how it goes

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk