1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice
  1. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

Hey guys and gals,

Quick question.. PVC COEX, when cut, has a dark grey inner core compared to its white shell.. does anyone here know if this could be potentially toxic?

thanks,

adam

2. kellenw

kellenw Member

AKA foam core or cellular core.

It is made in both NSF and non-NSF grades/classes. NSF is a designation used for potable water safe pipe and numerous other materials. See nsf.org for more info.

3. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

thanks kellen!

4. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

so basically if it doesn't have this NSF marking then who really knows whats in it.. :frustrated:

5. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    It is true, but it needs to be kept in perspective. The inner you are talking about will not come in contact with the water once all your pipe work is assembled and in any case, the contact, if any, is so minute. Much/many more times of baddies will be ingested in a half hour commute in traffic than would be ingested from the pvc in a lifetime...I suspect. I am not making light of it but, some things we just cannot do anything about and it is better to work on those things we can control.

Moving toward sustainability and a chemical free food supply is a journey, just starting a home based AP system is a massive step in the right direction. As time goes by we will find better materials as they become available. PVC pipe manufacturers here in Australia are gradually dropping the lead content in pvc pip products. It is a move in the right direction.

On the extreme end...we had a visitor a while back who was so worried about toxins etc from pvc and the like, he did not want plastic tubs, fiberglass was out, pvc was out and the list went on. Finally he asked if tanks, pipes etc could be made from english oak, same a wine barrels....anything is possible I replied...he then concluded that the oak may well impart a taste to the fish that may not be desirable....glass...glass tanks and pipes was the answer !!!

He went away pondering where he could possibly get a glass pump........Whistling
    The really funny part was he drove away in one of those great big 4 x 4 gas guzzling monster "Toorak Tractors"

6. Littlemomof3

Littlemomof3 New Member

LOL funny Murray!

Love the part about the glass pump. Seriously. I think he needs to invest in a better car huh.

7. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

Actually... PVC piping in Australia has been lead free for many years... even electrical conduit, which used lead plasticers... is now lead free....

Having said that... some of the recent stormwater pipes contain a foam sandwiched insert... for weight reasons... which is suspect...

8. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

thank you for your support Murray(once again)

i try really hard not to make my mind wander on this topic.. when people ask for organic vegetables i laugh.. how can we even prove that our rain is organic! :frustrated: much more proof it isn't thanks to GE in Japan

anyways.. all my pipe work is made from potable water pipe.. my problem occurred when the hardware store didn't supply potable water pipe in 3" and 4" for the siphon and strainer, so the strainer with all the holes in it will come in contact with everything constantly..

my siphon requires me to travel to a few different stores for the bulkhead, pipe, affnan style reducers and bell.. quite annoying..

9. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    It is all a matter of definition actually as to their lead free status. Most pipes are sheathed internally with the lead free layer.
    There are still some pipes that are not yet lead free such as the DWV range which is usually used for waste water, but once again, such small amounts as to be difficult to measure.

See here

It really is not a problem. It needs to be kept it in perspective. The quantity of lead, even if it were still in the pipes is so minute. Actually, in some locations such as Mt Isa lead has settled on the roof of the house and is then washed into the tank when it rains. (not to mention the bird and possum droppings)

Locations that are downwind of a coal burning powerhouse can also collect similar contaminates. They have removed lead from petrol ...so that is good.

10. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

11. kellenw

kellenw Member

I don't know if it makes a difference, but DWV pipe is considered low pressure.

12. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

Yep... and even DWV here in Australia is generally lead free....

Although, as noted before.... recent stuff has included a "foam sandwich" construction to lower the weight.... which might be as suspect as any lead component...

13. laurie1

laurie1 Guest

IS LEAD AS BAD AS THAT , why have the water mains in g/ britain and europe still have old lead water mains that have been in use for a century or more . has the intelligence of older people that have used this water be less than the morons we see daily with all this "lead free" cobblers.
    no guanantees in life , live it and the devil take the hind quarter.
    laurie 1

14. trout

trout New Member

In AD 73 the romans built the bath house in Somerset england.

They used lead pipes to bring in the water
    And we all know what happened to the Romans.

Caligula comes to mind.

( I actually saw the pipe when backpacking through Europe. It was amazing
    this pipe was over 1900 years old, and the oldest thing I had ever seen
    before in my life was only 200 years. All of a sudden studing history made so
    much more sense to me)

[​IMG]

cheers Lou

15. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Fun guy that Caligula....Like most powerful leaders he became absorbed with his own self. As the saying goes, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

16. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

good info here..

I looked further into the 'foam center' PVC, it's made here in Canada, 100% recycled plastic and the name is 'Ecologo'

sounds great ... i guess... :smiley-taunt001:

i could sell dog poop if i put it in a green box that says Eco on the label

none-the-less.. i'm not gonna stress it anymore, like Murray said I'm gonna get much worse from driving around in my car with a smoke hanging out of my mouth :broc1:

17. DaveOponic

DaveOponic New Member

This post reminded me of some of the high risk behaviours we engaged in as kids. I can remember melting down sheets of lead flashing (used on roofs) in jam tins held with a pair of pliers. We had sinker moulds and made our own sinkers for fishing. When we got bored with that, we poured molten lead into a bucket of water and made arty lead sculptures.

I would be horrified to see kids doing things like this these days. We had no safety goggles or any other kind of safety gear.

If I think of all the toxic substances that I came into contact with before I was twenty, I can say its a miracle I have reached my mid fifties!

lead, mercury, creosote, various (now banned) pesticides, herbicides, insecticides,

and that's not including recreational substances (which shall remain un-named)