1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Time taken to fill Growbed.

Discussion in 'General Aquaponics discussion - Aquaponics system ' started by adam.francis, Dec 21, 2010.

1. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

Hey guys..

from the reading Ive done over the past months I've gathered that most people have their growbeds fill in about 15min..

now here's my problem.. I have a new 65gallon aquarium setup and i purchased a pump that does double the L/Hr.. so I have to divert the water inlet back into the FT..

even with that diversion I cant slow down the growbed fill time and the best I can do without screwing up the siphon is 8min!

so i was wondering if you guys have any ideas to fix this problem? i have a 1/2in pipe from the pump going into a 1in pipe from the bottom of bed to top.. i was thinking of turning my diversion into a long spray bar ?? i dunno, here's a pic if it helps.. cheers

Attached Files:

2. Bluegill

Bluegill Member

you need some more volume in your grow bed.....attach some kind of container to the grow bed...that will lengthen the fill time.....it doesnt have to be for growing....but it might as well....
    if you cant reduce the rate of water coming in......I've had the same problem....

3. rmcpb

rmcpb New Member

Does it really worry you that your system cycles every 8 minutes? The plants won't mind so long as the water is really aerated. I would say leave it as it is and see if you have a problem befroe trying to fix one that may not exist.

4. trout

trout New Member

I'm with Rob

I'd be happy with 8 minutes.

I don't see a problem.

(but if you wanted to lengthen the time you would put a reducing
    collar in your syphon upstand.)

cheers Lou

5. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    I am with Rob and Lou,
    It will be fine.
    Our 200 ltr beds ( approx 40 gallons) which are standard on all our smaller kits cycle in about 8 minutes and they work just fine.

6. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

well that's good to know.. thanks gentlemen.. i thought maybe it was to quick.. wouldn't give the plants and worms enough time to chill

7. rmcpb

rmcpb New Member

Some people never really drain their growth beds as they run constant height systems. The plants and worms cope with that so 8 minutes is not a worry.

8. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

no but there is a problem that lies here..

i've just noticed that 8min is the max.. sometimes even on 8min the siphon wont click in and drain.. leaving the bed flooded until I increase the inlet pressure via a ball valve.... bringing the flood time to about every 5min..

am I making sense, do you guys understand? Murray?

9. Bluegill

Bluegill Member

I had the same problem....it drove me crazy....one thing that I did was to redo the bottom of my cover pipe....I originally has holes drilled around the bottom...when I sdjusted the inlet water down to lengthen the fill time, there was not enough water to saturate the holes....the siphon would just sit there and gurgle....if I increeased the inlet water, then the fill time was too short....so...at the botom I cut slits instead of drilling holes...that way the small amt. of water coming in would be able to overcome the slits and begin to fill my grow bed...also, I got advice from Trout or Erich.....if I remember...that sometimes it takes a minute or 3 to build up enough vacuum in the top of the cover pipe to begin the siphon......
    If you stand there and watch it..it seems like a long time....but as I understand it...the roots need oxygen..so a few minutes is good, yes?

10. rmcpb

rmcpb New Member

OK, what type of siphons are you using? Any chance of a photo?

11. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

gentlemen,

i was able to fix the problem, thanks for all your help..

the problem was being caused by the standpipe.. see i have put together a Affnan style siphon.. I had a 2" to 1" reducer on the standpipe.. I changed it to a 1.5" to 1" and presto! siphon triggered as soon as 'full' level was reached..

cheers

12. stimson

stimson New Member

FYI - i have setup a very small experimental growbed (until I get a larger one) that cycles every minute ie. fill 1 min, drain 45 sec. My basil and a baby spinach leaf have doubled in 1 week. No problems so far.

13. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

let me know how that goes... my some pictures of your stand-pipe/siphon... I had to dismantle my smaller unit because it was driving me crazy!!! it either would be a strong enough water inlet to trigger siphoning or it would be too much and create equilibrium effect.. couldn't get it nice in the middle! :mad: