1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

The Upcoming Election Campaign

Discussion in 'Lounge Area' started by Yabbies4me, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Nah... it was mainly the ABC that did them... and they don't have the budget for comedy skits nowdays!... :D

2. dandharma

dandharma Member

So I see my question is still hanging there. Yet another sitting of parliament and not one piece of construction legislation has been passed except to deregulate the financial advisers (sorry cut red tape)

Imagine the mentality it takes to remove regulations that protect consumers.. mum and pa investors that could lose everything..

3. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    It is still hanging there? The question?
    Maybe because it is a loaded question wanting to start a debate. That's fine.
    What in particular do you want to talk about? The Carbon Tax?

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Super Moderator

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Adelaide
    Well, I for one don't want the carbon tax debacle back on the agenda...I can give everyone the strong tip....

I answered a few of the questions, well as much as posible in post #88...

The current government is removing the carbon tax thingo...That's a good thing...It'll remain to be seen if you and I get benefit from this though...At least we won't be paying for a huge , sorry much huger bureaucracy.... I can't see how this mob are any better than the last mob and arguing for or against them is fruitless...One thing I will say ...This mob don't grate the nerves like the other mob did, they had a shocking "media front" IMO....It still remains to be seen if this mob are any better than the last...My opinion is they are all pollys and should all be treated with skepticism no matter which side (if there is such a thing) of the political fence they are on...This mob are in now so it stands to reason they will get torched by the public...just like the last mob did....There...How's that for sitting on the fence?...Good hey?....I'm watching and no one is any better than the other as for CP well he's only after one thing...and that's publicity.....He's too dangerous to trust.. The other independents...hmmm. Ricky what's his face...remains to bee seen if he'll do any good...Nick alphabet...One of those who get his media mob and it's strong, to publicize what he wants to get publicized, but not much comes from him....I can tell you a story about how Woolies started up a big service station right next to a small independent service station Nick said they can't be allowed to do this...Blah,blah,blah...Guess what?...The small independant is gone now and a new Hungry Jacks is on the site he had....

Didn't know about the deregulate financial advisers thing Dan..If they are de regulated..That's a bad move....Takes us back decades where Mum and Dad investors were being ripped off and that's why regulation came in...

Cheers.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  5. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Clive will sort them out. Don't worry.

6. dandharma

dandharma Member

If only Murray, if only.
    Looks like he is firmly back onside with his old pals, and of course his own self interest.
    (pic from 15th July, Pyne indicates he has Palmer's vote in his pocket)
    [​IMG]

7. Danscraft

Danscraft VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    South East Victoria
    City:
    Frankston
    When we need something more solid and interesting than our trained publicized puppets I cant have much faith in Clive. He's made more money than he needs so his ambition now is power. Its far more interesting than retirement for someone like him.
    He's grabbing an opportunity like a business man would and has financial backup for campaigning in the BANK!
    Playing the card of looking after the little guys is because they make up most of the votes and they are easier to swing this way or that pff, no rocket science there. Anyway he failed and that was predictable. Media circus excitement etc.
    Other than that.
    We are all supposed to ware the pain of preventing some kind of economical apocalypse but how much of the budget is drained into political circuses and merry go rounds and ridiculous twisted media sensationalism and dumbed down dirt campaigning? Millions? Billions?

Bring back the comedy skits I say!
    It would be the only redeeming quality for our Political mental health IMO.
    Awesome Country. Could do with more good political satire.:)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  8. DJBaird

DJBaird Member

Hmmm... all feel the pain, I am not sure about that... Funny that I am anti Bicycle Boy, and yet I manage to fall into the pain free gap. No government benefits to lose, not quite enough income to get smacked with an increase. ;) The upside to living in sin, without kids, and not filing joint tax returns..

I wonder how he would feel about the fact the his finance system support the 'non traditional' family structure... he better get that legislation for paid maturity leave thru before people catch on.. :hilarious:

9. dandharma

dandharma Member

Well lets hope you don't get sick, or old.
    Nah you should be right

10. DJBaird

DJBaird Member

dandharma,

The truly sad this is that I would not mind it is was even and fair, and the was some impact to me ..... and instead I will be providing some direct support to my sister's family, with kids and lower income... does not seam right.

The fact that I chose not to have the traditional family experience does not mean I am against it, only that I recongnise I did not want to make the big commitment it makes to do it right. Something I wish other people that do not look after they kids right would have done.

The way the cards are stacked at the moment, to have any chance of building enough capital to support yourself in retirement is really unlikey for those earning under 100K with children. And this has changed from my perents generation to mine.

As it is, my neices and nethews will probably be hoping I don't work my way thru any retirement investment I end up with, as the uni fees they will have to pay to get into a decent role will start them in a debt cycle.

I am by no means on a 'executive' salary, and I have given up a number of things to ensure when I am old or sick I do not have to depend on the goverment for support. I don't think any of the major parties have a real plan to sort this all out

Regards,
    Deborah

11. John Wills

John Wills New Member

Concur with what 'dandharma'
    Working in an area where there is intergenerational welfare subsistence, one wonders what is on the horizon.
    For fun below.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  12. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Love Monty Python, but that particular clip is a bit off......Thanks for posting, I have just wasted an hour watching Monty P clips......always good for a laugh.

Here is the best one....well today anyway.

13. DJBaird

DJBaird Member

Ha ha... so much good Python.. I feel like a Norwegian Blue Parrot, pining for the fjords :LOL:

14. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    My friend Peter Connelly sent me this one a few minutes ago,

Short Story:
    After prevarication by US Customs and Border Protection, Ars Technica Editor, Cyrus Farivar, finally acquired his Passenger Name Records. He found everything he communicated by webpage and phone-call to travel agencies and airlines, including his credit-card numbers (!), was passed on by the airlines to the US Govt, and would be on his US Govt file for many years.

Bottomline:
    At least as it concerns travel to, from and through the US, everything you communicate with regard to that travel right down to seat allocation and meal-preference etc., can and likely will, be recorded by the US Govt for many years, to build their idea of your profile.

Comment:
    To be fair, Travel Agents should really read you your rights before you start booking, just like those most obliquely-indistinct, drive-a-truck-through-the-legal-liability-loophole, govt and corporate, disinformative phone preambles:”This call may be monitored, listened to and/or recorded, for coaching or quality assurance purposes”.

In passing, it would be really nice if we lived in a world where Governments and institutions could just say what they mean. But then, in such a world they wouldn’t need to say it in the first-place.

15. yoodles

yoodles VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    SA
    City:
    Mount Barker
    We have a PM that says everything he means even if he wasnt suppose to say it
    look how thats working for him ...

16. John Wills

John Wills New Member

Says it for many

yoodles likes this.
  17. dandharma

dandharma Member

Wow, the Libs really tried hard to screw up that in only a little over 12 months of "steady" Government Murray.

Probably also worth quoting the astute Bill Newton too from Nov 2013

18. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    What are you having a rant about now Dandharma? How come you suddenly appeared? Something happen over there in sandy land?....:D

19. dandharma

dandharma Member

Nah Just watching the merry-going-ons from afar and wondering when we'll have some sensible pollies step up.
    It seems Rupert has decided we are for changing

20. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    You mean,the lefty ABC is going it's hardest.