1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

The start

Discussion in 'New Aquaponics systems - DIY' started by bigfish, Sep 19, 2011.

1. bigfish

bigfish Member

new test results fore 7 are
    Nitrite 2.0
    ammonia 0
    ph 7.4
    nitrate 80
    watter temp 20

All test results just the same as yesterday

The weather is getting a bit better now so things should start to heat up now just 4 days till i get my fish not that i am counting ha ha:p

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Super Moderator

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Adelaide
    Yep, hang in there mate, it all looks good.

3. bigfish

bigfish Member

No test results fore the week end big night could not bring myself to even go out side

new test results fore 10 are
    Nitrite 2.0
    ammonia 0
    ph 7.4
    nitrate 80
    watter temp 14

so still the same my fish are on the way

4. bigfish

bigfish Member

new test results fore 11 are
    Nitrite 2.0
    ammonia 0
    ph 7.4
    nitrate 80
    watter temp 14

so still the same

But now i have my fish 50 silver perch oooo now the fun starts
    They arrived today by courier all in good shape swimming well and look happy

5. bigfish

bigfish Member

Hi all new test results fore 12 are
    Nitrite 0.5
    ammonia 0
    ph 7
    nitrate 5.0
    watter temp 17

OK so sum big changes in the last 24 hours dose this mean that i have now Cycle my system or is it just because i put my fish in 24 hours ago

6. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

Your nitrite falling would indicate that you've cycled...

But keep testing... as you've added fish... and placed an increased ammonia load on the system... it might blip....

You'll need another grow bed during summer as you up your feed rate for that number of fish...

7. bigfish

bigfish Member

Thanks Rupertofoz i will keep up the testing and yes i do have plans to build another grow bed i was thinking one the same size as the one i have already about 500 letters do you think that wold be big enough.

8. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

Yep, for that many fish...:p

9. bigfish

bigfish Member

Ok i will get on to the new grow bed as soon as i can get my hands on sum more s/s as it worked so good last time i wold like to use the same agane.

new test results fore 13 are
    Nitrite 0
    ammonia 0
    ph 7
    nitrate 0
    watter temp 19

and all looking good

10. bigfish

bigfish Member

My system seems to be very stable now same test
    results fore the last 3 days but i still test every day
    Nitrite 0
    ammonia 0
    ph 7
    nitrate 0
    watter temp 19
    So now it is time to put in that new grow bed will start on it next week .

11. bigfish

bigfish Member

Hi all just a quick update all running well fish look good and no floaters veg look great i have had heaps off lettuce and peas so fare all good as fore water test all good no change at all once the system cycled ph is a bit high but it has stayed the same so i think that is good .
    I am making a new grow bed over the long week end off about 500 litres so i will have more room to plant even more i will post sun new pick soon

12. bigfish

bigfish Member

Hi all just a quick update have made my new grow bed just need to get more clay balls then i will plant it out it is the same size as the one i have now so it will give me a total off 1100 litres off grow beds so i am all reedy fore the sun when we get it if we get it all so the water test have staid the same the last 2 week or so

Attached Files:

13. bigfish

bigfish Member

just a quick update new bed is now up and running and sun new picks of the progress all test good ph a bit hi but it is the same every time i test so i think that is a god thing silver perch doing well i have only lost one so far gold fish are being attacked by the silver perch and i don't know how much time they have left.
    I have lost 2 in the last week they all looked like they had bean attacked bits missing

Attached Files:

14. lisagraham

lisagraham New Member

bigfish,
    Your system looks great. I am new to this forum and am in the process off setting up my aquaponics system in the backyard. I cant wait for it all to be up and running!!

15. bigfish

bigfish Member

Thanks lisagraham it is going much better the i though it would i will have to post sum more picks the fish are all doing well i have only lost 1 silver perch so far so looking good .

16. bigfish

bigfish Member

New picks :p

Attached Files:

17. bigfish

bigfish Member

Just a quick update fish are doing well big ones are about 50mm now and are eating well they love green veg and are eating like there is no tomrow water temp 27 to 30
    I have all so had load off veg and tomatoes getting better results now bit slow at the start

Nitrite 0
    ammonia 0
    ph 7.6
    nitrate 0

18. silloth52

silloth52 Member

australia
    State:
    vic
    City:
    melbourne
    hi bigfish
    how are your goldfish going with the the silvers i have 6 in my trout tank (no trout yet) but i am making a 800lt tank for the goldies and about 10 silvers i thought they might be compatable, but if not i will place the goldies in the sump

19. bigfish

bigfish Member

Hi there Silloth52

Out off the ten goldies i only have 4 left don't know what happened to the other 6 .I do not think the silvers killed them or not but the 4 that are left are very happy with the silvers and are now big

20. Threefiftyseven

Threefiftyseven New Member

man those stainless beds are pimpin! nice job!

is the solar a backup or your primary?