1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

& the journey begins.. my first AP System!

Discussion in 'New Aquaponics systems - DIY' started by adam.francis, Nov 7, 2010.

1. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

Well hello guys and gals.. it's been about 2 months now since I've been on this forum, soaking up as much information as I can apply it.. I've had some up's and down's along the way and I'm sure that this roller-coaster ride isn't over yet since I haven't added any fish to my system yet..

I've constructed a small system in my laundry room so I can begin to understand the processes of AP throughout the long and cold winter.. I've learned a lot on this forum and it's all thanks to you guys.. especially you Ian, even though you ripped me a new one and even though I overreacted, I believe that's apart of learning that everyone benefits from.. and I'd be a dummy if I didn't take everyone's advice, good or bad..

So with that being said and cleared I wanted to use this thread to start posting my progress and especially my results so that everyone can continue their advice for the benefit of my systems good health and so that hopefully sooner than later I can have the confidence to help out the greenies and make the Mods lives easier..

I have linked my photo album below to give you a good idea of what i'm working with here.. the cherry tomatoes have been in now for a few days, 1 of 4 survived from planting straight into the grow bed, i've been adding Seaweed Extract everyday since and I guess my first question/concern would be How much Seaweed Extract is too much when first (fishless) cycling? I've been adding about 4 ounces a day in 63L of water and the water is merky brown from it..

Next is my test results which have been the same for about a week now.. Temp = 22C, pH = 6.5, Amm = 2.5, No2 = 0, No3 = 0

Let me know what ya'll think!

http://www.aquaponics.net.au/forum/album.php?albumid=32

thanks!
    Adam

2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Adam... Maaaate!... correct me If I'm wrong, but I believe 4 ounces is about 120ml... into 63 litres... per day??? :eek:

It's no wonder the water is mirky brown, you should probably be adding a tspn every 2nd or 3rd day!

P.S. Nice neat little system.

3. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

ok thanks i'll slow that down! i get too excited i guess.. no wonder the wife doesn't let me cook.. i never think its enough Curry! LOL

4. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

Would it smart too get some more seedlings going along with what I have so that when I add the fish in a few weeks i'll have some kind of a defense system against the amount of ammonia that might be created.. and then I can always cut back the amount of plants as they get bigger and the system matures?

5. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

Nov.7/10

Temp=22c, pH=6.8, Amm=2, No2=0, No3=0

6. Byron

Byron New Member

cant have too many plants dude. the only drawback to too many plants is they will possibly not grow as fast.

splitting hairs here also but just for your info. the number of plants wont help with dealing with the ammonia created, the bacteria in the gravel are what help you deal with the ammonia. :)

7. Castaway

Castaway Senior Member

don't worry Adam, it seems to take forever when you first get started but eventually within a few weeks - all should be well as the bacteria colonies get established..

8. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

thanks guys,

i'm still trying to get comfortable with the cycling process and what actually is going on and needs to happen before the next step to begin.. so correct me if i'm wrong..

before i put the fish in, i want to have happen is the ammonia to go down to zero and No2/No3 to spike, this tells me that the good bacteria has kicked in and the system is cycled, correct?

adam

9. Byron

Byron New Member

everything should settle back to zero, or there abouts. and have your pH between 6.2-6.8 is a good range for fish and plants.

10. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

Adam, here's a chart of the cycling process... the length of time to cycle depends on temperature... and to some degree pH and oxygen...

But the general data is consistant...

Attached Files:

11. pletby

pletby New Member

Right on Adam. Good to see another Canuck setting up a system for the winter. Like the barrel setup. :p

12. Tdsal2

Tdsal2 New Member

Thanks for chart John

13. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

That's great thanks!

14. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

LOL thanks, we can't let these brutal winters stop us! Who knows, this might be the winter that never ends, cheers

15. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

Nov.8/10

Temp=22c, pH=6.5, Amm=2, No2=0, No3=0

16. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

Nov.9/10

Temp=22c, pH=6.5, Amm=2, No2=0, No3=0

The Ammonia doesn't seem to wanna budge, stopped adding Seaweed Ex. 3 days ago.. just playing the waiting game.. :)

17. Erich

Erich Member

with you PH being nice and low, 2 is not anything near an issue for Ammonia :)

18. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

really? so is it safe to say i can throw some goldfish in this weekend?

I'm cycling the system, but i don't really know what I'm waiting for to happen before I can add fish.. hence fishless cycling..

19. Mantis

Mantis New Member

You should start to see some nitrite soon and then ammonia should drop to 0, and after that the nitrite eating bacteria kick in and nitrite should drop to 0.
    Then put in your fish

20. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

that's what i figured.. thanks mantis! :carrot:

patience in AP is a virtue i do not posses, but must.. :broc1: