1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Test GB not big enough

Discussion in 'New Aquaponics systems - DIY' started by Parknet, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Parknet

Parknet New Member

US
    State:
    Indiana
    City:
    Indianapolis
    Hello. Lots of great inspiration in this forum so I thought I would post my trial setup.

My project is only a few days old but i'm getting there. I wanted to make a small version to gain experience before building a couple of larger tables (3'x5') in my basement. I started with a 9 gallon GB and 30 gallon FT. Everything is cyling nicely but much too quickly. 3 minutes after I added the medium. It was 15 minutes with just water and I thought I hit the jackpot on my rookie flight. Thinking of making a 24" x 24" GB for the small test table and which would be nearly double the volume of this.

I have been documenting with lots of pictures but here is the basic setup. 160gph pump, 3/4" pvc stand pipe. No fish or plants yet, just testing.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

http://basement-aquaponics.blogspot.com/

2. Parknet

Parknet New Member

US
    State:
    Indiana
    City:
    Indianapolis
    2'x2'x9" bed in progress. Will hold 17 gallons up to 7" line with 2" clearance.

[​IMG]

3. Parknet

Parknet New Member

US
    State:
    Indiana
    City:
    Indianapolis
    better

Added a sump. Looking good.

[​IMG]

4. bigfish

bigfish Member

Hi there this is where it all starts next thing you will have 1000 lt tank and loads off fish hve you put any fish in yet ?

5. Parknet

Parknet New Member

US
    State:
    Indiana
    City:
    Indianapolis
    No fish yet. On my 3rd GB version now and still doing fishless cycling. The homemade one started leaking after about a week. Lesson learned.

[​IMG]

Also, replacing the plastic FT with a 30 gallon aquarium I picked up. Will post when the new setup is in place.

Documenting the adventure at: http://basement-aquaponics.blogspot.com/

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012