1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Sodium Biphoshate?

Discussion in 'Site Guidelines.' started by JET2508, Apr 4, 2016.

1. JET2508

JET2508 New Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Helensburgh
    I currently have a ceramic type pond with some gold fish etc. I have it fitted with a stablizer and a filter, of which I clean every 2nd day. I bought one of those Aqua Testing Units and my PH Level is off the chart. I have used a whole container of the 'pH down' over a couple of weeks and was able to get the water to neutral. Unfortunately, having run out of the stuff the PH is really high and I've just lost another fish. I have a couple of garden rocks inside the pond (to keep the filter straight as it's a bowl type pond) and a grass/reed type plant which is thriving. I have read your forum and it seem that the sodium biphoshate may not be the best product. I have also read on this forum about seasol - which I use in my garden, how does this work in a pond environment, and if it appears to be the right product for this situation - what quantity is required, and how often? Any help would be greatly appreciated - thank you!

2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Hi Jet,

I'm assuming you meant Sodium biphosphate. While it will lower the pH, it certainly isn't the best approach as it will breakdown into Phosphates and Sodium.

Too much Phosphate will cause algal blooms in the system and quite possibly nutrient imbalances as well, leading to unhealthy plants. Too much Sodium is definitely not good for plants either.

When you say your pH was off the Chart, what was it?... or what was the maximum reading on the chart, if the pH was above that?... Depending what the pH level is, it may not be excessively high and may not even need adjusting down. The beneficial bacteria colony and most fish actually prefer a slightly alkaline pH.

Hydrochloric acid (pool acid) is the preferred pH lowering product for aquaponics. It simply disassociates into Hydrogen (water) and Chloride, which is good for fish health, it assists in the development of their protective slime coats.

Adding acid directly to your system should be avoided, in systems containing high carbonate levels it will only cause very short term pH bounces. It's best to treat your top-up water with acid at least a day before using it, to consume the carbonates in it before it's added into the main system, so you're not constantly topping the system up with more. Over time this approach will speed up the natural pH decline.

Ringer and JET2508 like this.