1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Serious Question?

Discussion in 'Commercial Systems' started by adam.francis, Mar 24, 2011.

1. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

Hey guys... I've done tons of research since I joined this site last year... I put a bunch of successful systems together thus far and I'm continuing to expand my knowledge and systems..

Rupert, i understand your views on commercial aquaponics and how it comes down to having a market to sell too so I really want to hear your thoughts on my situation here!

I have been given the opportunity to start the conversion of a Koi/Pond company into an aquaponic filtration systems... they have various sizes of tanks, 1000L, 2000L, 4000L and even 8000L tanks!

We came to an agreement that I would devote my time and he would provide all the materials... i would start with the smallest tank and then go from there... anything that is produced and sold would then be split 50/50...

I'm very excited.. yet.. very nervous/ overwhelmed.. because at the end of the day i do not want this to be a bust, i don't want to waste my time/money and i don't want to waste his either...

so I'm slowly putting together a business plan but would really like to hear the advice of you guys 'the experts' on which route i should take with this one.. if take this route at all..

thank you,

Adam

2. Psinet

Psinet Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Gruyere
    How do they currently grow the koi? Is it a retrofit or a new system?

3. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

hey,

they basically buildt huge boxes out of wood and then lined them with pond liners... the water is pumped up into blue rain barrels where they go through layers of media for filtration.. hope that makes sense :)

4. Hotrodmike

Hotrodmike New Member

Adam
    I dont think anyone can answer the question should I or shouldn't I . Now on the business end ,I have owned companies for about the last 30 years . I do not know how well you know the people you are getting in with but always CYA
    A business plan may not be a bad idea but it will include the other party as from what you say they will be your new partner . I have found partners sometimes tend to be ,well less than stellar . The other party may have a totally differant idea of the business relationship so get that ironed out real early in the game . I would think some form of intent contract might be a good starting point . Lots of communication and some firm points on who has what responciblity . A contract works for this . Then my next question is are you up to the job as this is a much differant thing than just doing a home system . If something goes wrong who has the liability of dead fish ,or anything else that goes south . Never fail to ask a question even if you think the other party will not like the question as if it popped in your head it may need asking .
    I may sound a bit jaded but after loosing a 20 year business due to letting the wrong type of customer in the door .Finding one has not CYA enough and the fact the system (legal) does not always lean toward the honest guy but the better lies all I can say is CYA CYA and then repeat . A firm and updated contract in writing is your only trump card .
    Other than all the pitfalls of being in business I wish you all the luck in the world if this is the route you follow .
    Have A Kind Day & CYA
    Mike

5. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

thanks for the advise Mike!

but what does CYA stand for? Whistling

6. Hotrodmike

Hotrodmike New Member

:) Sorry
    Cover Your Azzzzz
    First rule of business !
    Have A Kind Day
    Mike

7. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

haha... YESSSSS... Good Advice!!!

8. Psinet

Psinet Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Gruyere
    A fast nitrogen uptake plant like various spinach varieties would be an ideal way to treat the water. With maybe an upgrade to the current media filtration system, you might just get away with retrofitting a large and expandable NFT system using 90mm DWV PVC pipes with planting holes. Some of these can also be done vertically in a tower configuration or stacked horizontally for space maximization. Done properly these can work very well - except they are succeptible to temperature fluctuations. Definitely plan for mitigating this, and also design an end to end backup system for pump or power failures.

And there is one definite key to starting profitability here - ensure you have a buyer for all the product you can produce in advance, and design a processing/packaging plan in advance for final product presentation.

Go for it!!