1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Purchasing barra

Discussion in 'Hatcheries - fish suppliers - Trout - Perch - Cod ' started by mjacko88, Sep 20, 2012.

1. mjacko88

mjacko88 New Member

OK guys, seeing that I now have to process my Trout, can anyone advise me the best place to purchase Barra? & when would be the best time to buy them?
    I'm in Perth WA
    CHEERS Jacko. :p

2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Hey Jacko,

If you want to grow your Trout out a bit longer you can leave them until the water is 22º, or even higher. I've had Trout feed to 24º... WA bred Trout are tougher than their eastern states alternatives... this is actually true, I'm not yanking your chain.

However, you really need at least 6 months to get the Barra to plate size, so the sooner you can get them in the better. Also, finances permitting, try and get more advanced stock. There are a number of sources for Barra in Perth, but some on offer are only 50-75mm. People I know that have started in October with fish that size haven't got them to an edible size by the time their water cools to 20º in autumn. IMO you should try and get 150mm fingerlings, or 120mm at the very least.

Barra need the water to be at least 20º (night time minimum), but they prefer 22º+.

You may need a relocation licence from Fisheries to purchase fingerlings, I know you do for Trout and SP's at least, but I think it also applies to Barra. This process can take a couple of months to get through the Fisheries dept, so you'd want to get onto it. If you have a ring around the fingerling suppliers first, you may be able to find a supplier that hasn't yet heard about the need for a translocation licence.

I know of a supplier that had thousands of advanced fish he'd bought as small fingerlings months ago and had grown through winter in heated tanks, he was about to start selling them off... but had an extended power failure just yesterday and lost the lot!!!...

Freo Tafe supposedly have fingerlings, but are small. Golden Ponds always have them, but can be pricey for larger models. There's also a garden/pond centre on Farrell road in Midvale.

Cheers.

3. mjacko88

mjacko88 New Member

Cheers Yabs, so I guess there's no easy solution then?
    Thanks for all the info I' keep the trout for a while longer then and start chasing Barra now, if you do hear of any going, let me know will ya.

Ta Jacko. drinkanim

4. mjacko88

mjacko88 New Member

So if the water warms up a little bit, they don't die they just don't feed as much is that right?
    So I could get some Barra and run them at the same time?
    Jacko

5. Kangaroodog

Kangaroodog Member

Separate or they would become expensive trout food.

6. mjacko88

mjacko88 New Member

No issues there, but they will survive the temp together right?

7. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    I wouldn't keep the Trout over 22º (daytime max temp)... While mine still fed up to 24º, it wasn't at anywhere near the rate they fed at when it was below 22º... so it's probably counter productive, time v's weight gain (if any), but up to 22º (daytime max temp) they should be fine... and there in lies the issue... in that you'll probably find if your daytime max water temp is at 22º, then your night time minimum temp could probably be 20º, or less, in which case you wouldn't want the Barra in the system anyway.

Temp permitting, you may be able to overlap them in the same system (separated) for a week or two, but there's the issue of system capacity... do you have the gravel/filtration capacity to run the two batches of fish simultaneously?

Cheers.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  8. mjacko88

mjacko88 New Member

I have two new grow beds ready to set up on the system now, but I have one 1000l tank with the trout in & one 800l tank for the sump, I was just going to put the Barra in the sump tank.
    If I have to I can drain &add water to keep the levels correct, I' just use the old water to water the garden, then freshen the tanks with new water, maybe 20% at a time.

Jacko

9. readingfc

readingfc New Member

i'm waiting for the temp to get high enough to put barra in- i'm thinking late october/ early november- have never heard about the travel permit! sounds sensible to get slightly bigger ones, so that you can grow to plate size- not sure when it starts getting too cold again in perth?

10. Kangaroodog

Kangaroodog Member

Yabs, i know who ur talking about re loosing barra, seems like an ok bunch.

11. mjacko88

mjacko88 New Member

Hey guys, I've checked my trout and they are way too small to harvest, will they survive through the summer? At least that way they would have all next winter to grow out to a decent size, I don't care if the don't eat or grow much through summer, it just seem pointless to knock them on the head when they are so small.

12. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Hi Jacko,

Personally I don't think it's a viable option.

Once the water temp gets to about 22º their feeding will slow down dramatically, however they may still possibly feed sparingly to about 24º

When your water temps get to 25-26º they will die very quickly, but supposedly sustained periods with temps over 22º will kill them, it just takes longer.

Supposedly stress begins to set in at 22º (even though they may still feed to 24º) and sustained periods at, or above 22º will cause them to develop stress related illness, which also leaves them prone to attack from parasites, fungal infections etc.

P.S. Those from the Eastern states reading this and wondering about Trout temps, those quoted above only apply to W.A. bred fish, as I have it on good authority that W.A. fish can handle about 2º higher water temps than their Eastern states cousins.

Cheers.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  13. DreamLifeFarms

DreamLifeFarms New Member

Anyone know about getting Barra to California?

14. ccbear

ccbear New Member

I dought if your goverment would allow them in, I think there is a Barra hatchery up on Vacouver Island but not 100% sure. They have safe guards so the fish do not get intoduced to local water ways so do not think they would supply to you.

15. DreamLifeFarms

That's unfortunate, though I can understand why they wouldn't. If I find a way I will post it.

16. DreamLifeFarms

Looks like it's legal: http://www.caaquaculture.org/2009/06/30/caa-testimony-to-f-g-commission-meeting/

"We are pleased that the Department is suggesting a (dramatic) change in its policy from a complete prohibition of barramundi aquaculture in California to allowing barramundi farming under appropriate conditions. We feel that the proposed 671 revisions may provide a welcome opportunity and a precedent for aquaculture production of non-native species in California. With that said, the Department’s dramatic reversal in policy and the process used to get us to this point has been perplexing and therefore concerning, relative to immediate and future actions. The comments and recommendations we provide here are intended to improve the proposed regulation changes for barramundi and the process used in the future for any new species being considered for listing under Section 671."

17. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Sorry KD... I didn't see that post, it got swallowed up by subsequent posts.

Yeh, they are... the shop manager there is fairly cluey when it comes to his fish, just needs a better back-up system!

18. readingfc

readingfc New Member

anyone selling barra near perth yet?

19. ccbear

ccbear New Member

Good news there dreamlife, how long before the new laws come in to being fact.

20. mjacko88

mjacko88 New Member

Try challenger TAFE in Fremantle:p