1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Pond liners for grow beds? Good Idea?

Discussion in 'TotePonics - IBC - CHOP Systems' started by mattintosh, Apr 24, 2012.

1. mattintosh

mattintosh New Member

I was looking at polypropylene and polyethylene liners. The polyethylene is reinforced with strands of cloth like material, I think it is also polyethylene as well. I also saw some pure rubber "BUTYL" and called for info as to these items being food safe. Sales guy says that they were fish food safe meaning you can eat the fish grown in these ponds safely.
    Any ideas about that? I am getting ready for new GB's and am thinking how much easier it will be to make the beds out of wood and just lay the liners in and fold them over the edges. They are UV safe 90% strength at four years.
    Sounds great as they are cheap. a ten by ten foot piece is 75.00.
    Any ideas? This looks to be easier and less expensive and faster than building and then glassing...

2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Liner is good.

3. mattintosh

mattintosh New Member

Pond liner is good?

Thanks Murray, any material better?

4. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Hi Matt,
    The one I have seen that is avbl in the US is "Dura-Skrim® Reinforced Polyethylene Film".
    It is an excellent product having a reinforcing mesh through it and is white in colour not that that matters much.
    Google "Dura-Skrim 20WW liner" for a supplier near you or that will ship to you.

Trying to find it here in Aussie but cannot locate it......drat.

5. mattintosh

mattintosh New Member

Dura-Skrim 20WW liner

Thanks again Murray. I have been searching the net for a local IBC supplier here in socal, but Drat! they all carry only reconditioned units costing 300.00 each. Too much$ for me. So I think I will have to go with pond liner for FT and barrels for GB's. One supplier recommended barrels for everything because we are earthquake country. I duhno but does make some sense. I wish I could find IBC totes that are 50.00 and food grade but just can't.
    Any suggestions as to a system utilizing plastic barrels and pond liner? I don't want to re-invent the wheel.

6. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Blue barrels are good and have been used by loads of people. Have you looked into Barrelponics by Travis Hughey ?

7. ccelms

ccelms New Member

8. JasonW

JasonW Member

USA
    State:
    South Dakota
    City:
    Pringle
    GPS Global Plastic Sheeting... I get my Duraskrim through them. Free shipping and it always arrives within days. I make all my grow beds and fish tanks using this stuff. For under three hundred you can get a roll 6x100 that is a lot of tanks and grow beds. They have smaller rolls as well. Cheapest supplier I found.

9. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    Jason... How old are your grow beds? Have you had any issues with the plastic sheeting deteriorating, cracking, and/or leaking? That's my main concern with using sheeting, but I am needing to expand. Certainly like the idea of minimizing costs. How many mils thickness are you using?

10. JasonW

JasonW Member

USA
    State:
    South Dakota
    City:
    Pringle
    I have had mine for quite a long time without any issues. This product is uv resistant and claims to have a very long outdoor life. It is 20 mil, very tough stuff. Quite impressive really that it does not tear when filling with gravel.
    http://store.globalplasticsheeting.com/dura-skrim-20-white/

Just building another large media bed and several more rafts using this.

Attached Files:

Robert123 likes this.
  11. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    Excellent info. Thanks :)

12. magnusthescott

magnusthescott Member

usa
    State:
    ok
    City:
    wewoka
    for sourcing your ibc's look for a local tyson proessing plant, and any tote containing the eliminate product(food grade vinegar substitute) if they won't sell them to you directly they usually can tell you who they sell to mostly feed stores etc, i get mine here @ 50 a pice 40 if i buy ten or more also they usually have food grade barrels that mostly contain liquid smoke extracts etc.

13. Arkadian

Arkadian New Member

Jason, just curious how do you measure the amount of liner needed. Most websites I've found so far recommended an amount that makes absolutely no sense to me. (for example: they are recommending a 10x10 feet liner for a 5Lx3Wx1H grow bed).

14. JasonW

JasonW Member

USA
    State:
    South Dakota
    City:
    Pringle
    To determine the liner size just add the width plus both sides....and then add the length plus both ends. for example I always make my beds 3.5 ft wide this allows me to use the standard 6' plastic width to cover the 3.5ft bottom, 1 ft per side and gives me just a bit extra to roll over the edges to protect the wood. You can buy any size but the six ft wide roll is the cheapest for some reason.