1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

parasitic/hemiparasitic plants?

Discussion in 'Aquaponics Ideas' started by oceansgreen, Jan 22, 2012.

1. oceansgreen

oceansgreen New Member

so upon all my research of organic food production and growing of many many varieties of plants, i have determined that i would like to use aquaponics in a walipini greenhouse to grow anything that is unable to grow in my zone
    one such plant
    is commonly called "Indian Warrior" it is a plant that is hemiparasitic
    in other words, it is capable of growing on its own but prefers to grow by being a parasite and leeching nutrients off of the roots of other plants, commonly manzanita bushes in its native climate

my question is, how likely is it to grow hemiparasitic plants in an aquaponics system?
    if possible it would be preferred because hemiparasitic plants such as this will collect toxins from poison oak and such if they are in the surrounding soil, meaning that if you had an aquaponics bed devoted to them you could guarantee that they would not be absorbing any toxins it would otherwise receive