1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Online purchasing in Australia

Discussion in 'Hatcheries - fish suppliers - Trout - Perch - Cod ' started by vk3laj, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    You mean like Woolworths demanding of their suppliers a couple of weeks ago that they all drop their prices by 10%... or lose their space on Woolies shelves?... and it wasn't so that they could drop their prices to the end consumer, it was simply to boost their bottom line... and the government allows them to do this???

I couldn't believe it when I read it, I thought the forums would fire up over the issue... but nothing???... even the tv news channels only briefly touched on it.

2. llewelynj

llewelynj New Member

its bull s##t. but then again if i had a penny......

3. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Bullsh!t that they are able to do it?... or the story is bullsh!t?

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Super Moderator

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Adelaide
    Well,

I must say even people on this forum really don't care about this Yabbies,

I posted an article called Market share, at the end of March this year and got no replies and little interest.:confused:

http://www.aquaponics.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=4035

That's OK..I can deal with people not replying to posts but....This gets back to what Rupe was saying a while back...We as Australian citizens are just way to lackadaisical about this type of thing...We can't be bothered to jump up and down to force our politicians, local members of Parliament to do things to stop this type of thing happening..We just sit back and say It doesn't effect us so why should we care?.....Then when our prices go through the roof and there is no control over it,we say "Boo Hoo we can't afford to live"Most of the time we are our own worst enemies IMO.

Cheers.

5. Redneck

Redneck Member

drinkanimdrinkanimdrinkanimBD Ibthink that your close but not right
    there are plenty that want to have a say
    but are soon put back in there place by
    better educated or better spoken or
    better paid. thanks to Political
    correctness many cant say anything at
    all.And at the end of the day we all
    gotta eat.OOps lost my train of thought
    in there somewhere but im sure it might
    make some sence to
    someone...somewhere...wheres my
    beer...bggerme lost anotherone.

6. Redneck

Redneck Member

drinkanimdrinkanimfound it

7. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Yep... It's like the closing down of the Sydney Caltex petrol refinery... Woolworths reckon it has nothing to do with them... pigs ring!... they have 600+ fuel outlets in Australia that sell Caltex fuel and they pride themselves on selling Australian sourced produce, or so they claim in their tv ad's... Surely with 600+ outlets buying Caltex fuel they have enough sway to say: "Hang on, we want Australian produced fuel, we sell Australian sourced produce wherever possible, we're proud of it... and as your biggest customer we demand it!"

It's a strategic move formulated by the two of them to get even cheaper fuel to try and trump Shell/Coles!... who cares if it put's 800 refinery workers out of a job directly... and probably scores more indirectly... and they reckon the Qld refinery will follow suit shortly after.

Australia as a whole is rapidly turning from a producing and exporting nation, to a gross importing nation... there's no coming back from that... not in a hurry at least!... it takes decades to rebuild industries.

I've been saying to people, for over a decade now I reckon, that if we don't change our buying habits soon everything we buy will come from Wesfarmers (Coles, Bunnings, Kleenheat etc) and Woolies... especially now Woolies have opened their own chain of Hardware stores to combat Bunnings... the little guys in a number of industries, such as: Hardware, Energy, Building materials, Groceries, Insurance, Petrol, Alcohol, etc, etc, etc... won't stand a chance... and then we will be at the mercy of two giant conglomerates that even the Government are afraid of.

The Minister-for-War-and-Finances went to the local Woolies recently, where they've been slowly phasing in more and more "self serve" checkouts... out of ten checkouts, eight are now self serve, the two that aren't have massive lines of older people that don't want to scan their own produce and use a touch screen computer... so there are two checkout operators (where there used to be ten) and one person that floats between the all the self serve checkouts helping out when things don't scan etc... So three people doing the job eleven people used to do... and one of the checkout operators was also tending the fag counter.

She had to call the "floating" operator over three times due to things not scanning as they should... and she had to wait a couple of minutes each time... it took her well over ten minutes to scan through half a trolley of goods, that normally would've taken a checkout operator a couple of minutes... She's in no rush to go back there!

ONYA WOOLIES, REAL AUSTRALIAN... LAYING OFF EIGHT CHECKOUT OPERATORS!... and that's only a small Woolies, it's probably more like a dozen operators in the larger stores... let's say an average of ten people... across nearly 900 Woolies stores across Australia... that's 9000 staff... and the media carry on when Ford lay off a couple of hundred???

Like I've said before, we try and buy from the little guy wherever we can. We try and shop at IGA, even though they are an American company, at least the stores are independently owned by Aussie families. We buy some stuff from Coles and Woolies, but really limit it. We buy our meat, eggs, bread, milk, fruit and veggies, etc, from local companies and small independent operators wherever possible... and I buy my fuel from BP because they aren't tied up with Shell or Caltex, who are tied up with the big two. We will even take a drive out to the local chicken farm to buy a couple of dozens eggs... and pick up a coupla 50L bags of mother natures best veg garden fertiliser while we're there!

If you bring these topics up with people they treat you like you should be wearing a tin foil hat and hiding under your bed... people JUST... DON'T... CARE!!!

What will it take for Aussies to wake up?
    What will it take for them to take some action?

BUY LOCAL NOW!... FROM THE LOCAL PRODUCER AND RETAILER... WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!...

...because between government regulation on small producers... and the two big conglomerates and their duopoly on just about every facet of our lives... there won't be any local little guys to buy from soon.

WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!... even the consumers of all consumers, our American cousins, don't allow companies to have anywhere near the market share we're allowing these two giants... I'm only pulling these figures out of thin air, but they'll be close... I read an article recently that stated Woolies and Coles had about an 80%+ market share between the two of them... and the biggest retailer in the US, Walmart I think it was, only has 30%!!!... and the remainder was broken up between a number of other companies.

Okay… rant over… I’m gonna sit back on the couch and watch what’s left of the Hawks v Bombers game… with my bottle of Wolf Blass purchased from the local, family owned bottlo…

...Where'dya buy that beer from Mark?... drinkanim

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  8. Redneck

Redneck Member

drinkanimdrinkanim:eek:my good mate jock
    tha bottlo

9. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
  10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Super Moderator

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Adelaide
    Wallmart..... 17 or 18 per cent in the US Yabbies, and they are the biggest...

By Memory....Nick X was looking at a 5 year plan to break up the Duopoly so that no one can have more than 20 percent of the market share....

Cheers.

11. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Nick Xenophon... about the only pollie left in Aussie with any balls!!!... and morals!

They should just clone him and give us a couple hundred of them!... Like in Star Wars Clone Wars, or whatever it's called... and get rid of all the other spongers!

12. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Super Moderator

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Adelaide
    Yes...good guy... still gets railroaded by the majors....not that he wants it that way but it happens.... still a good man who does NOT tow the party line....

Senator Harrodine( I forgot how to spell it, sorry) was another. IMO but he's gone.

To answer your question vk3aj, I think Silloth in post 3 pretty much gave you the best option judging by what I read on this forum Others have used.... But... they may not have the fish you want ...then you may want to freight them in....

I looked at some from Ausy fish but it was going to cost me $40.00 postage and the I had to pick them up from Adelaide airport.....I ended up doing something different.

Cheers.

13. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

Yep, most people get their fish from one or the other... or both...

14. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    See BD... I said my out-of-thin-air figures would be close... 18%, 30%... same same!... :D

That makes it sound even worse... that we'll allow two massive companies an 80% share of the Aussie market between them, when the largest chain in the US only has 18% of their market. We will all be at their mercy soon!

They've been selling their own branded products for years, but the missus reckons over the last couple years the amount of Coles or Woolies brand products on the shelves has increased dramatically, they are having just about everything made for them now, probably also from cheap imported ingredients I would imagine.

They have slowly been removing recognised brand products from the shelves, or they allocate them a tiny piece of shelf space, either low down near the floor, or up high, right at the top of the shelf above everyone’s eye line, but right at eye height the shelves are stacked full of their own brand stuff, which is also normally far cheaper than the other brands. So pretty soon we will probably not only not have a choice, but a lot of long established brands will disappear... and jobs along with them.

Nick Xenophon has the right idea, but IMO we'll never be able get it back down to 20%... you can't put toothpaste back in the tube. But we should be legislating to stop them from getting any further market share, as well as making it easier for new chains or small independents to get a foot hold in the market.

I read a couple of years back that both of them have been trying to start chains of pharmacies, like they've done with liquor stores, but the government has blocked that move... so the pollies understand that they need to have limits set as to what they can own. If you have a look at what companies Wesfarmers actually own, most people would be blown away, especially at the diversity of the industries they operate in... just about every facet of our lives... and Woolies is quickly catching up!

15. vk3laj

vk3laj Member

Decided on buying local if i can.....

16. silloth52

silloth52 Member

australia
    State:
    vic
    City:
    melbourne
    yes you can

17. pioneer07

pioneer07 New Member

hi Thanks for great information some time i am very trouble for some things purchasing thanks for shearing,,,