1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

not the system i want to get built but...

Discussion in 'New Aquaponics systems - DIY' started by magnusthescott, Apr 5, 2014.

1. magnusthescott

magnusthescott Member

usa
    State:
    ok
    City:
    wewoka
    Well been piddling around for almost a year now with smaller setups and every hurdle possible has come up blocking bigger setups be it space money or the weather. So i decided to go the micro routs and start working on making some smaller systems i can board in my home during the winter and let live on my porch for the summer. the pic attached is the smallest of these and is slated to be a small herb garden for use next to my kitchen with the possibility of selling a few similarly made to some friends, thoughts please? finished herd garden.jpg

2. yoodles

yoodles VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    SA
    City:
    Mount Barker
    id be putting braces so that the GB doesn't have all its weight on the aquarium under it
    they look cool, be interested to see how stable you can keep it

3. magnusthescott

magnusthescott Member

usa
    State:
    ok
    City:
    wewoka
    actually to the specs of the tanks thew will hold and are quite stable, also can't see them but there are castors underneath for ease of movement. the other reason to do it in this fashion is if there is major maintenance on the tank needed you can easily separate the two by just pulling the pump and sitting it in the gb. So far my children of 3,4,&5 have leaned grabbed etc. and have had no issues. however for future builds i will not be using the brand of drainage rock in the pic, due t its weight and just how dirty it is, thining of going lava rock. I would prefer expanded clay but that just won't keep with the budget for resale.

4. magnusthescott

magnusthescott Member

usa
    State:
    ok
    City:
    wewoka
    had to bring all three of these inside yesterday, been going strong in the 70-80 deg range and thin today dropping like a stone with a low of 28 tonight, thats spring for you in the midwest