1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Nitrate uptake in a flood and drain microgreens system

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Cheeky Harvest, May 4, 2022.

1. Cheeky Harvest

Cheeky Harvest New Member

United States
    State:
    Minneapolis
    City:
    Minneapolis
    Hello Folks, I am a new member here and this is my first post I have a 1000 gallon microgreens aquaponic system in Minneapolis. I have struggled to find good information for growing microgreens in an aquaponic setting as most seem to use hydro, which brought me here. I have nine 2.4x1.2m (8x4 feet) shallow trays that flood and drain with system water twice a day for a total of 20 minutes, to water the microgreens which are in 10x20 trays. So the system water to plant contact window per day is very short. Out of the 1000 gallons 200 gallons is used to flood each time, so 20% of the total system volume. I have noticed that most aquaponic systems seem to have either continuous plant to system water contact or it is the majority of the day. I ask this question as my nitrates are always above 100mg/l. I have reduced food input by 50% and have been doing 20% water changes weekly with water at 10mg/l NO3. I am questioning if such a flood and drain (aka ebb and flow) approach with such short watering times is often used in aquaponics. I am also wondering how much nitrogen a 7 day old microgreen, which is basically a seedling uptakes? Any and all thoughts are much appreciated. Matthew