1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie in Canberra, Au

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by DanDanDan, Jun 2, 2018.

1. DanDanDan

DanDanDan New Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Bywong
    Hi Everyone,

I am Dan.
    I just recently moved from Canberra to Bywong and have decided to start a little Aquaponics system.
    I have bought 2 IBC tanks that i am getting ready to cut down.
    I was wondering if anyone in then area have any good piece of advice or maybe even be willing to let me have a look at their setup.

As of now, i do understand the basics and should be able to get small system started but am certainly no professional...

Anyways, I hope you are all doing well!

Cheers

Dan

2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Hi Dan, welcome to the forum.

Some things I would suggest you consider when building a system out of IBC's are:

(a). Make the GB's at least 330mm, so you can achieve a 300mm gravel depth.

(b). If you plan to use bell siphons, then a 20mm standpipe is preferable over the widely recommended 25mm. It requires nearly half the flow rate of that for a 25mm standpipe and usually gives flood and drain cycles of around 10-15 minutes, whereas a 25mm standpipe gives F&D cycles of around only 6-7 minutes. Too high a water flow rate and F&D cycles can lead to turbid water, with fish waste etc not settling and staying in suspension in the water.

(c). Don't use the pallet/base of the IBC as the base for your GB, especially if it's a metal base, it will quickly rust if mounted directly over the FT. Rather, use timbers etc to support the GB and leave the pallet/base of the IBC as a base for the FT to sit on.

bundynbeaches likes this.
  3. TonyGrunk

TonyGrunk Member

estonia
    State:
    bosnia
    City:
    darwin
    Welcome aboard - happy to show you mine here in canberra - let me know.

4. DanDanDan

DanDanDan New Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Bywong
    Hi Tony,

I would love to come and have a look and maybe ask you some questions.
    Please let me know where you are located and when is convenient!

I have PMed you my contact details so you can text me or call me or reply by PM.

Thanks

Dan

5. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Some photos would be good.

6. DanDanDan

DanDanDan New Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Bywong
    Hello again!

So, I have tried and followed everyone's advice and would like to ask a couple more questions before I make a mistake!

I have also attached some pictures as requested (it is just the beginning..)

I have cut the first IBC down into one part that will be GB approx. 30cm deep, and the other bit that will be the sump.

Now before I cut down the second one into 2 parts (both grow beds), can I confirm that 30cm is a good depth or should I go more shallow? (usual 23cm?)

Then, how would you cut the 3rd tank that will be FT, just cut open the top of it?

And lastly, if anyone has any advice or pics re: plumbing, that would be really helpful.

(I.E: where do I put the pump, where is best to put siphon, maybe even a diagram?)

Thanks again for all the help and keep it coming!

Attached Files: