1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie from Toowoomba

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Lesterz, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Lesterz

Lesterz New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Hampton
    I am currently researching Aquaponics setups for our 20 acre block. Already have 2 x IBC,s, one polly cattle trough 700lt & one blue barrel.
    l want red claw & my wife wants fish. Will probably start with Jade Perch in one IBC & red claw in the other one. Fish tank will link to grow beds but I am thinking of putting a layer of black soil in second IBC & lots of hidey holes for red claw. Red claw tank will be aerated but I was wondering if it would need to be filtered? I am trying to emulate a natural murky environment.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on me using old cement roof tiles as hidey holes? Will they leach out too much lime or whatever?
    Cheers
    Lesterz

2. TonyGrunk

TonyGrunk Member

estonia
    State:
    bosnia
    City:
    darwin
    welcome aboard - the clever people will probably respond later - pics if you have them would be appreciated

3. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Yes, the roof tiles will push the pH up but that will not bother the Yabbies, but may not be good for the plants.