1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

New to AP and new build

Discussion in 'New Aquaponics systems - DIY' started by JBC, May 5, 2017.

1. JBC

JBC Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Ipswich
    I've just got into aquaponics and am hooked bad this is system I knocked up today, carnt wait to get it running.

Managed to resource everything bar the pipe and fittings so build to date has cost $100 to keep missus happy

Sorry for photo quality will take a new pic once running

Attached Files:

TonyGrunk and David Tauti like this.
  2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Hi JBC, welcome to the forum.
    ...:thumbsup2:

3. JBC

JBC Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Ipswich
    Thanks Yabbies

Ran into couple teething problems, main one being sump pump is to large. Thinking might have to have a drain directly from the fish tank into sump to keep up with the pump.

4. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Yep, I would put an overflow pipe in the side of the FT, an inch or two higher than the outlets to your GB's, and divert the excess water flow back to the sump.

If you want to clean the fish waste solids out of the FT, the overflow from the FT to the ST could be a Solids Lifting Overflow (SLO). You may want to run the overflow water through a swirl filter, or similar, prior to it returning to the sump.

5. JBC

JBC Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Ipswich
    Put overflow in def helps. I think I may have to source a bigger sump to give me more leeway

How big does swirl filter need to be?

Also I have read 15min cycles for flood and drain, does it matter how quickly it drains? Or is supposed to take 15min to drain and 15min to fill?

Thanks in advance

6. Danscraft

Danscraft VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    South East Victoria
    City:
    Frankston
    How big does swirl filter need to be?
    Get a blue drum if you can as a settlement filter. 200-300lt? Thats added volume to your system.
    I made a Radial Flow Filter (more costly and complicated but works great!) Simply gravity drain from the fish tank through RFF then into the sump tank.
    but a swirl filter is simpler and maybe close to as effective.

Consider the discarding of the settlement filter. It has to be fairly easy to properly purge the bottom gunk onto your dirt garden or compost pile or whatever you do with that nutrient mud etc. It is valuable in organic gardening but needs to be turned over fast. Not storable etc.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
    JBC likes this.
  7. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    If they are auto siphons in your grow beds then your F&D times will be determined purely by the diameter of the standpipe in the siphon kit. The larger the diameter of the standpipe the more water flow required to get the siphon working and the faster the F&D cycles will be.

If someone is referring to a "15 minute F&D cycle" it means the combined F&D cycles. The single IBC display system in my shop has a 20mm standpipe in the siphon, with the water flow tuned get the siphon working my F&D cycles are just about spot on 15 minutes, about 13 mins to fill and 2 mins to drain.

F&D cycle times can be too quick and too slow, 4-6 F&D cycles per hour is desirable.

JBC likes this.
  8. JBC

JBC Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Ipswich
    Thanks for advice, I am running 32mm pipe so will reduce it down to slow down drain.

I am looking at getting 10 silver perch and 10 golden perch for tank, not sure on vegetables yet might let the kids pick them

9. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    In those GB's you should be running 15mm standpipes. Even 20mm would see very rapid F&D cycles of only a few minutes, which can lead to turbid water because the fines don't settle anywhere.

10. JBC

JBC Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Ipswich
    Thanks yabbies, once I started reading up I realised 32mm was a pretty big over kill for the system i already had some 32mm kicking around home so I stuck with it. In hindsight it would have been cheaper to downsize and buy new fittings .

I'm eventually hoping to build the 11.5 setup once I work out what I'm doing and I have a smaller system working so hopefully fittings can be used then. I am also looking at fitting a control system to manage the system so I don't have to worry about breakdowns and fish dying.

I also want to work out best heating method so I can support Barra in Ipswich. Would love to have some meter plus fish in a tank

11. JBC

JBC Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Ipswich
    Just got rocks in today having to wait for more silicon to dry after your advice, also had to go to the local creek to get some guppies to keep my boys happy they cannot wait till system is ready for perch (I think they are more excited about AP then me) IMG_2688.JPG IMG_2687.JPG

12. JBC

JBC Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Ipswich
    I think I might have jumped the gun on my system, going to add another IBC as sump then use existing sump as swirl filter and also get smaller pump as I have realised mine is way oversized. I got a little side tracked in worrying about fish upkeep with larger pump rather then aerator and didn't pay enough attain to grow beds

13. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    .............................................................................................:thumbsup2:

14. JBC

JBC Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Ipswich
    IMG_2730.JPG IMG_2729.JPG Finally got system up and running, boys helped with taking out the pebbles and then putting them back in AGAIN, just waiting on fish now.

15. JBC

JBC Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Ipswich
    Hey yabbies, I have a mate who has 10 small perch for me, just wondering if I make a bar sprayer with my 3000l/ph pump on 1000l ibc tank that this would be ample for aeration, I plan on getting aerator later on in the project

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Yeh, absolutely. Just make sure you get a separate air pump a.s.a.p, preferably one that can run off an independent power supply if your mains power drops out.

JBC likes this.
  17. JBC

JBC Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Ipswich
    [​IMG]

New silver perch

18. JBC

JBC Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Ipswich
    [​IMG]

Slowly getting there

19. JBC

JBC Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Ipswich
    Added another grow bed with bean seeds planted, also have small grow bed on existing turtle pond and the veggies are growing crazy plus turtle pond is now clean and I do not have to do water change every month . Also picked up anotherIBC tank for free from site last week it is going to be the new FT complete with Perspex viewing window so kids can see fish[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth