1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

New Tilapia Farm in Cambridgeshire, UK.

Discussion in 'Hatcheries - fish suppliers - Trout - Perch - Cod ' started by stjohnny, Mar 21, 2012.

1. stjohnny

stjohnny New Member

Hello all,
    I've just purchased my 100 tilapia for my IBC aquaponics set from a tilapia fish farm in Mepal in Cambridgeshire.
    The price was VERY reasonable and all sizes were available.
    If you'd like the details, then please let me know.

I believe they do a courier service too.

J

2. Jens UK

Jens UK New Member

hi Johnny,

have you got a link?

cheers

Jens

3. christmas

christmas New Member

Hi Johnny, what heating system are you using for your water temp regulation? tilapia like a tropical temp, 25-30 celcius in order to grow well.Below 20c they will be very slow growing apparently ( i toyed with the idea a while back, but the cost of heating a ft to that optimum range was too expensive to justify stocking them).

4. stjohnny

stjohnny New Member

Bah,
    sorry it's taken me so long to reply.
    Jens, you can call the owner on 07836 338838 and see what he can do. Not sure what's going on there as last time i wa sin the area, they were going through a large transition.
    I'm a commercial pepper grower by trade, so my tilapia are in the corner of a glasshouse sharing the temperatures of the plants. Sadly, the temperatures can vary from 17 at night to 28 during the day, hotter if the sun's out. The poor summer we've had had somewhat slowed the growth of the fish, but we'll see what happens.

5. Abdullah

Abdullah New Member

Very interesting you choose tilapia for the cold climate place. Very easy to farm here in Malaysia. Why not choose the cold climate fish, examples trout?
    Is no restrict on Tilapia in UK?

6. stjohnny

stjohnny New Member

I have a large greenhouse that's constantly heated to 20-21C, so it's not a problem.
    You can have tilapia and other non-native fish in tanks in the uk with the proper licensing.
    Trout would not have done well in these conditions.