1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

New icb system in cairns

Discussion in 'TotePonics - IBC - CHOP Systems' started by kaiser, May 6, 2013.

1. kaiser

kaiser New Member

The new system is chugging along nicely . Syphon worked first time. Make sure to have a tail on the down pipe or it plays up and doesn't empty properly. Next will be 30 barra that ill get from Kuranda fish farm.

Water test kit purchased. Will let all know readings soon. System has had a dose of seaweed concentrate and a few worms in the grow bed. Been flooding and draining for a week now .

system built for expansion later.

Attached Files:

2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Excellent work Kaiser, Keep us posted on progress.

3. kaiser

kaiser New Member

30 Barra have now been introduced with the following water qualities

ph - 7.4
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrates/Nitrites - 0

Apparently Barra can take ph to 8.5 so took the plunge.

ph of their original environment was around 7.

The reason my ph is so high is that the local town water tested at 7.5.

I think I was a little hasty in transferring the barra from the bag to the ICB. I left the bag in the water for about 35 minutes and did a number of cup mixes from the ICB water to the plastic bag in that time but when I let them out, some experienced shock and laid on their side for about 10 minutes. I thought I had just thrown away $60 but they have all survived and are now swimming around in about 22 deg water temp. I asked the grower what their temps were in the ponds and they think 26 c but I'm not sure about that since its been raining a lot up here and it has been windy and colder than usual. Anyway all is good. I hope they feed tomorrow because they didn't feed this afternoon. They are still skittish.

Ill do some planting tomorrow in the bed.

Syphon working perfectly. Flawless so far and its been over a week.