1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

My new(ish) IBC Setup -

Discussion in 'New Aquaponics systems - DIY' started by Bryce duke, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Bryce duke

Bryce duke New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Roma
    Here is my newish setup in QLD. as mentioned in my intro post i have had a small setup for many years, now i've moved and re setup and expanded

This is a new setup. I originally had one IBC grow bed and one small tank. a month ago after moving house, and the colder weather finished, i decided to rebuild it all and expand a bit. Took a week in my spare time to build this (greenhouse included), working 1-2 hours each evening after getting home.

Hopefully all continues to go as good as it is. All levels are holding beautifully. Everything there i have grown from seed since planting on August 2nd and later.

two independent systems as you can see, so if i mess one up, i wont lose everything, and everything is off grid (pumps, heaters, airpump) all run off batteries and solar panels. Although i "should" if my calculations are correct, have enough battery power to last 3 days with no sun, i have power run ready to plug into mains should a major situation arise.

Just because i could, i setup flow switches on each pump, high and low electronic switches in each fish tank, and electronic thermometers in each tank, and wired them through to the house and connected to my server where i can remotely monitor
    -Temps
    -Flow (to know if pumps are running)
    -Fish tank water level (broken pipes) an alarm will be sent to me via text if the low level alarms trip

I only did the monitoring stuff because i could. and work could at 30 minutes notice take me away for a day or two.

Since taking these photos two days ago, i have actually cleaned the two raft beds (was getting algae in them because of sunlight as you can see, i knew it when i set it up, but still did it anyway) and fully covered the surface of them with rafts instead of the "wanna be" tiny rafts in the pics, although the temp ones worked great for starting the seeds..

In the process of making swirl filters.

the 50 JP fingerlings are doing great (25 in each tank), although they only went into the system 3 weeks ago.

i will get around to making proper covers for the fish tanks, and enclose that section off. its one of many on the to do list. i'm sure everyone has those....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sideshow

Sideshow New Member

Australia
    State:
    Vic
    City:
    Echuca
    Thanks a great looking system you have there, Bryce. Off grid 100% is very admirable. Can you please elaborate a little on how you got the system to automated stage? How to connect to computer? Are you a sparky? Also, how did you curve the pvc pipe?

3. Bryce duke

Bryce duke New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Roma
    Sideshow, im a telecommunications technician by trade, so the knowledge is already there. Basically its an arduino system running on my server, and i just use remote desktop to dial in to check, and ive also set up an automated email and sms system with it. The pvc pipe is 100mm communications conduit, and you buy the bends as you see them. These are simply leftovers from a big installation i did here in the gas fields a couple years ago, so i finally found a use for them.

The batteries and solar panels are also bits n pieces from remote communicTions sites, and i will admit, if anyone was to go out n buy the same gear i have here to go off grid, the cost would be in the tens of thousands.

4. Bryce duke

Bryce duke New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Roma
    Spent the weekend Extending the Greenhouse, Finally fixing up a few little problems, and YAY! got the Large fish tank in (read as 3500 Litre Poly Cattle Trough. Pictures up later...

I had a visit from the Local "Mens Shed" over the weekend too. They are going to try to install a system, and were looking for ideas. One old Bushie who spent 70 years on the land who is now retired made the comment "We spend all our lives on the land looking for the most fertile soil, and pay top dollar for it, and here you are growing food in bloody road base!"

5. Clive Denholm

Clive Denholm Member

Australia
    State:
    Vic
    City:
    Whittlesea
    Really nice setup. Love the way you did the IBC beds and the curved pipe. Thanks for sharing the pictures