1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

My Chop2 IBC system.

Discussion in 'TotePonics - IBC - CHOP Systems' started by Drdamage, May 13, 2012.

1. Drdamage

Drdamage Member

Have found out that my air pump is 32L/hr. Is that ok? and I don't have a thermometer yet but I live in Perth and would think that the temperature at the moment would be perfect for the Trout.

Might make up a spray bar tomorrow I think.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  2. Drdamage

Drdamage Member

Have checked this morning, no deaths but all still at surface with mouths opening and closing. I turned on my battery air pump over night which would have added about maybe 10L/hr.

I'm not sure what is wrong with them. Would have thought they have enough air.

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Super Moderator

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Adelaide
    What's your water tests DD?

Tank temp
    pH
    Ammonia
    Nitrites
    Nitrates

From my experience with trout you may be borderline with the air and your trout, even at Perth temps ATM which are good for trout. But I would check your water as well.

Cheers.

4. Drdamage

Drdamage Member

Whenever I do a water test, the results always seem about the same. A couple of weeks ago the nitrites where high so I gave them a salt bath.

Today's water test results are:
    Nitrites: 0.10
    Nitrates: 5.0 (always been pretty much 0 except today)
    Ph: 6.8g
    Ammonia: 0.25

I have remembered that a couple of nights ago I awoke to my home phone beeping which means the power went off. How long it went off? Not sure. I haven't managed to setup a backup power supply yet because I don't really have the spare coin at the moment.

They have been on the surface now for 2 days.

Like I mentioned I had a couple die over the last week but No deaths for a while now so fingers crossed.

5. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    When you say you gave them a salt bath... did you remove them from the system and give them a salt bath, or did you add the salt directly to the system?... how much salt, how many grams per litre?

What's your water temp?

It doesn't take long for trout to start sufferring irreversible damage once the Oxygen in the water starts to drop, an hour can do it, even 1/2 an hour depending on the water temp. Even if you caught it, or the power/air came back on itself before any died... the damage may have been done.

Back-up air is essential for Trout.

6. Drdamage

Drdamage Member

I removed them from the system and used a half IBC for the salt bath. I put 5 kg of salt in the IBC and left them in for about an hour. This was just over 2 weeks ago.

I'll get a thermometer and check temp today. Made a bit of a spray bar up this morning. Maybe it'll help a little.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  7. Drdamage

Drdamage Member

I was at my local aquaponics store yesterday to buy some more fish pellets and they suggested that I should buy the 7mm pellets for my rainbow trout because they have an additive that helps the trout have more of a pink colour.

I was kinda thinking that they where probably just overstocked with 7mm pellets, or maybe they where telling the truth. Has anybody heard of this additive before?

Also have some new pics. Thankyou for helping and viewing. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. trebel

trebel Member

belgium
    State:
    w vlaanderen
    City:
    zedelgem
    verry nice

9. Drdamage

Drdamage Member

We had a 34 degree day out of no where last week. There goes my second batch of rainbow trout at $5.00 each, they where very spoilt with getting fed often three times a day. The growth rate on the trout was amazing. Will try again next year. Have learnt alot over the last 8 months from both trial and error, and advice from forum members.

It's funny to look at the picture of my earlier post of duckweed, it's only been a month but now that IBC is over flowing with the duckweed.

10. Drdamage

Drdamage Member

Trying out some corn, celery and zuchini.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. silloth52

silloth52 Member

australia
    State:
    vic
    City:
    melbourne
    hi di
    last week in melbourne my water temp got up to 22-23c i got a bit worried and added my spare air pump 40lt/min that made 120lt/min for 48hrs until the weather cooled also my ammonia was creeping up and could not give them a good feed
    decided to harvest 8 trout that is 16 in total so if i lose any with a sudden heat spell i have at least had a few very nice trout dinners

12. Fishdood

Fishdood Member

I noticed in one of your earlier posts what looked to be water coming through a galvanised or metal pipe?

13. silloth52

silloth52 Member

australia
    State:
    vic
    City:
    melbourne
    hi fishfood
    no galvanized or metal pipe all pvc piping, i have an aluminum frame with shade cloth attached as a tank cover maybe that is what you observed

my ammonia levels still hovering around 0.5-1.0 mark, probably have not got long to go before i have to harvest most of the remaining trout,
    may leave a couple to see if i can get them through the summer

14. Drdamage

Drdamage Member

[​IMG]

The last of the Rainbow trout. Forecast for this week is getting too hot so out they come.

Just wondering if anybody has some spare duck weed in Perth SoR? My duck weed got eaten by my dog! I made a few changes to my system and had my duck weed in a bucket over night but it disapeared.

15. Rob

Rob Super Moderator

Looks tasty :D

Rob

16. Sharonsas

Sharonsas New Member

Great looking set of crops.
    Really nice setup.

17. Drdamage

Drdamage Member

Thanks.

I have now moved location and setup my system again. All is going well, currently have 25 barramundi which managed to survive the re location and I plan on making one or two more GBs soon. Here are some pictures.

Attached Files:

18. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth

.....................................................................................:p

19. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Looks good Dr...
    Amazing what you can do with some recycled bits and pieces. Glad the Barra survived.

20. Drdamage

Drdamage Member

System is going great, Added another GB and insulated the FT. Also added 3 medium sized Silver Perch because I have been getting a bit of algae growth with this warm temperature. Covered the lid to let a little less light in as well.

Must say when ever I chat to someone around Perth about aquaponics and tell them where I purchase my fish from, they always say. "Oh don't go there, I've got a friend who purchased his fish there and they all died".

Well I've purchased about 5 batches of fish from there and never had a single fatality. I think these people don't really know what their doing or are to impatient when introducing fish into their system and it has given the hatchery a bad reputation.

Here's a picture of the new stuff. I have now named my system "Junkyard Dawg" haha.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014