1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

My Aquaponics System - Tips & recommendations required

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Waqas Abbasi, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Waqas Abbasi

Waqas Abbasi New Member

Qatar
    State:
    Al Khor
    City:
    Al Khor
    Hi guys,

My motivation to make an aquaponics system came from one of my course called "Fisheries & Aquaculture" in which the hydroponics and aquaponics systems were briefly studied but i really got hooked on motivated myself to make one.

I got an 54 liter tank with rectangular plant pot as the media bed (as shown in the pictures below)

So 2 months from today, I initiated the nitrogen cycle by adding fish food to the aquarium. And observed the concentration of ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. After a month I added 2 gold fish initially which led to one dying due to high ammonia level. Later on after the ammonia levels reached 0, I added two small koi fish as well since then the fish seam to be loving the environment.

I have few concerns regarding my system, really hoping someone can help me out here...
    One of the major issue I am facing is the Plant Dying :(
    1) I took 2 okra's plants from my backyard - initially they did well but eventually lost all the leaves and died.
    2) The chili plant (pictures attached) lost many leaves but seams like its doing well now and I can see some now leaves coming out
    3) I planted a jasmine few days ago (took from my backyard) - Its too early to say if its doing well or not
    I would like some recommendations regarding what to grow in indoors aquaponics, i have checked many articles but would like some of your professional opinion.

I am planning to grow micro algae (Haematococcus pluvialis) to feed the fish, I already obtained them recently just waiting for it get more abundant - Anyone have any information regarding this?

Also I am planning to add one sucker fish to the tank in case the algae tries to take over lol.

Finally, do you guys think that if I should add more fish?

P.S - I have not changed the water since I started the system, just been adding some water on weekly basis due to evaporation.

Looking forward to replies :)

Following are the images (the files were too big to upload here):

https://ibb.co/nJuqiU
    https://ibb.co/hNggq9

2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    It is looking ok for such a young system. A few more fish will help for sure.