1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

IBC with DWC extention plan

Discussion in 'Commercial & Small AP Farm Information.' started by jakmag@hotmail.com, Oct 3, 2013.

1. jakmag@hotmail.com

jakmag@hotmail.com New Member

I am setting up my first aquaponics system based on the IBC system. I have been dreaming about setting up a system for some years. I live in Brazil in one of the hottest parts. Any way my plan is to cut my teeth on the IBC system same as the one in Murrays video. Then expand this to something bigger.
    With my future expansion plans in mind. It always seemed a waist to filter and through away good fish poo in the commercial DWC system and I could not understand why they did not use a gravel bed with plants in as the filter system. Now I believe that Murray is just about to show us how it is done. I will set up my IBC system so that at a later date I could incorporate the floating raft part later. If I had could see the layout for the media flow system then I could plan the IBC setup with this future possible expansion in mind. I have made a plan of how I think you could add a DWC to the IBC system. Please let me have your comments.
    By the way I live in one of the hottest parts of Brazil and the really hot temperatures are going to be my biggest challenge. I am currently working out how I can cheaply insulate everything. I have lived in hot countries before but the heat that comes from the ground is twice as hot as the sun and the temp dose not drop at night.
    View attachment 16562 fish tank to gravel beds to swirl filter to DWC to sump with over flow to drain where it is pumped back to the fish tank.

I have a 9x6 meter and I have calculated that I could just about fit the IBC 1 tank 3 beds + 30square meters of DWC. Can this be even done what do you think?