1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

IBC .PDF instructions

Discussion in 'TotePonics - IBC - CHOP Systems' started by Roadside Raider, May 28, 2011.

1. Lee

Lee Moderator

The treated pine sleepers are covered by the grow beds so they should be protected from the weather. There is a small bit of the sleepers exposed in the center approx 200 long and i can tell you with certainty that we have not had any problems.

If you don't want to use treated pine then don't. We have just found them to work well and be cost effective.

2. Trentoi

Trentoi Member

I'm about to start construction of my Auto Siphon assy as per the PDF. The outer shroud PVC pipe hole pattern, how important is the pattern? Murray seems to have different patterns of holes, a section of close holes then some further apart! What is the logic behind the placement of the patterns? If it is important I could follow the pictures and guess the measurements.

3. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    The patterns are not important.....just make sure there is plenty so water can easily get through.

The patterns are a demonstration of the artistic flair of the boys in the shed....:)

4. Trentoi

Trentoi Member

lol, thank you.

5. Trentoi

Trentoi Member

I have a couple of very basic questions.

Can you confirm the height of the up stand dictates the max water height in the GB's? So 50mm below the top of the media would be correct. (in the PDF it looks a lot shorter)

The amount of water to fill the system with would be about 100liters per GB plus a little more so the pump can't run dry, say another 100liters?(the FT is just filled)

Thanks.

6. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    The actual dimensions for the auto siphon parts and construction are on the PDF file. I am not at my computer at the moment so I cannot look the page up for you.

7. Trentoi

Trentoi Member

Thanks I'll use them. What about water quantities?

8. Trentoi

Trentoi Member

I might be missing something here but in the pdf there are three different measurement for the Up Stand.

Page 15 - cut to 165mm
    Page 16 - Overall height of this type of up stand is 150mm
    Page 17 - Pipe lengths, Up Stand 85mm

:24locos:

This is why I was asking what height the upstand should be in reference to the GB media height, to try and work it out.

Thanks.

9. Trentoi

Trentoi Member

Does anyone know the correct lengths?

10. Nipper

Nipper Member

Hi there Trentoi, I just finished my first system & just followed the measurements on page 15 & my siphons worked first time.

Just cut the 25mm pipe to 165mm, add a 25mm valve socket to the bottom & then the 25mm x 32mm reducing coupling to the top & it will all add to the right length.

I then cut the 65mm pipe for the bell to the measurements on page 15 (260mm) & added a cap. I then placed it in the GB with the shroud & filled the stones upto a height i was happy with that the water did not show at the surface.

I hope this helps OR am I reading your question wrong?

11. Trentoi

Trentoi Member

Thanks for your help, I wish the PDF was a bit clearer. I just don't wanna waste PVC fittings if I glue it the wrong size.

I wish someone would explain:

Page 15 - cut to 165mm
    Page 16 - Overall height of this type of up stand is 150mm
    Page 17 - Pipe lengths, Up Stand 85mm

12. Nipper

Nipper Member

Hi there, i actually did not glue anything. It all worked without it & thought if i need to take apart for cleaning it would be easier? Maybe make everything to the size i said & do not glue it. That way you can adjust it when ever you like?

13. Trentoi

Trentoi Member

That's a good point, I do wish to glue the upstands but I could do that later if I was to drain a GB. Thanks, I just don't have much spare time @ the moment to experiment hence all the questions.

14. podfink

podfink New Member

Got a question about the size of the sleepers used in Murray's Chop 2 system (using Murray's PDF - page 8). Why does the sleeper for the front support of the rear growled need to be 1500mm? Can I make it 1050mm like the other cuts (would save me buying an extra sleeper).

15. MattySEQ

MattySEQ New Member

its because that section is sitting over the sump which makes the distance wider so no your better of buying an extra sleeper

16. chrzan777

chrzan777 Member

PDF...still not found

Morning.
    Okay I have looked over where to get the PDF off of Murray's website...and because I do not want to be considered "Lousy" I wish to buy it.

Now I know it does come with the DVDs when purchased, but a DVD was donated to us in our Mission and I believe it was a copy because no PDF was included...so where can I buy the PDF?

Where we live in Honduras it is a luck of the draw to be able to receive mail...or I would just order a new set. When we are able to receive mail it usually takes weeks..or months to get it....gotta love 3rd world country's and their mail system.

Billy

17. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Hi Billy,
    If you have the DVD the PDF is on the DVD. If you have a copy someone has burnt for you from a pirate download then most likely there is no PDF on the copy.

18. chrzan777

chrzan777 Member

Correct Murray. While the persons intentions may have been well doing...well you understand.

How do I purchase the PDF? Obviously I do not need the DVDs any longer , so to purchase those would be redundant and would not help me, unless I could download it anyway...because of the mail system here.

Billy

19. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    I think I just answered this in another thread....can't remember without looking back....but it is available from the
    It is a download, not that big a file...should download in a few minutes on an average internet connection.

20. chrzan777

chrzan777 Member

Thank you Murray,
    All done, am downloading now.

Please let me know when the Platinum is up and ready.

Now I have work to do.

God Bless you.
    Billy