1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Harvesting the Rainbow Trout

Discussion in 'Site Guidelines.' started by telmor, Dec 19, 2011.

1. telmor

telmor Member

The BOM is forecasting 36c for Adelaide over the Christmas period, this means that the Trout have to be harvested. We did harvest our first 2 fish last week and we cooked them whole in the oven with lemon and dill wrapped in foil, they were very nice, (never eaten fresh trout before). We have another 22 trout to deal with before Xmas. I was hoping that some of you experienced people could help me with a brine mixture e.g. (quantities of salt and brown sugar) how long to brine for. As I am not so good at filleting I was thinking of smoking the cleaned, unscaled fish whole minus the head. Any advice on this procedure would be welcome.

Following on from this, when the current fish have been taken out of the system, what do I have to do to keep the plants going until the next lot of fish go in? When you introduce new fingerling fish to you system how does it affect the vegetable growth, bearing in mind that the fish are so much smaller than the ones that have been taken out?

Hope someone can help with this.

Regards

Maureen

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  2. boilup

boilup New Member

Hi there,

butterfly the trout, then scatter enough salt over the trout,(don't be too concerned with measurements) to cover but not saturate(it really does not matter if you do anyway) and do the same with the brown sugar, then smoke.

Where im from in NZ this was our breakfast on the wkends right after we caught them, the local river was bout 100m from our back fence line. AAAHHH those were the days.

Regards Joe :p

3. joeyd

joeyd Member

Hi Telmor

My favourite way of cooking trout is simply to scale and gut them leaving the head on. Wrap them in foil leaving the top half exposed, use some of your preferred herbs and put into the BBQ or oven for about 15 to 20 minutes.

Regards

Joey

4. Erich

Erich Member

Telmor

Mt Compass here, I have 40 that also need to be done this weekend ;)

No scales - they dont have em. I gut and de-head and freeze, they taste just as nice as fresh. I Add lemon in the belly, garlic, black pepper and chilli then in a BBQ with a hood for about 14 - 17 mins :)

5. marty01

marty01 New Member

Hi Maureen..Bruce Here in Port Lincoln.
    I have had my RBs since Easter. Harvested 36 fish. Biggest went 865g Average weight 574g. I recently harvested mine two weeks ago and simply gutted them. They do have small scales but really not necessary to scale them. To deal with slime and scales, I use mains water on a fairly high pressure to 'blast' off slime and scales...need to direct water tail to head. this ensures that the water jet gets under the scale and 'rips it off'. Incidentally I do all my fish this way, Gar, Whiting, Snapper.... method works very well. Power jet also cleans gut cavity blood along the spine.
    Prep: A vacuum pack machine comes in very handy at this point. Pat dry the fish and then sprinkle cavity with salt and brown sugar. Pack into bags and Vac. seal them, then freeze. You can keep them for months with no adverse effect on Quality
    Cook: Have not yet smoked any as I am not keen on smoked fish however with this method, you only need to smoke one or two fish at a time.
    I also cook them Oven style as in the other replies, but i really like them Steamed!.....
    Cast Iron Pan. brown two chopped onions and handful cherry tomatoes in butter. Large glass good quality white wine.. Drink and then add another to the onions. Place herbs in gut cavity..I use Lovage, Fennel and Parsley. also put some chopped herbs in with the onions. Drink more wine and then place fish into pan and steam for 'bout 12-15 min...'till cooked. Remove fish and then sieve the jus. Reduce liquid and add a little duijon mustard. Use for dressing on fish. Enjoy! :p

Regards Bruce

6. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    There has to be a business in exporting harvested trout to Qld :):):):)
    I wish we could grow them up here...:cry:

Reading those recipes ..... I am as hungry as.......:frustrated:

7. MattySEQ

MattySEQ New Member

I agree murray, its a shame they aren't available up here we could probably keep just fine during winter out this way.

8. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    I am sure we could get them through winter here no problem and maybe have to harvest them out a bit sooner than our southern AP cousins....but hey, it would be just grand.

9. marty01

marty01 New Member

Murray...Yes Trout are a winter crop only here too. Luv water < 20 C. Mine go off the chew a bit > 20C Haven't had any go belly up yet and Temp got up to 28C for a day just recently. I plan on keeping the 'Smalls' which I didn't harvest , in a Tote in my insulated shed. Switch on AC when T gets to 26. Will only need to be for several weeks till summer temps come down. New batch comes in early March.

B

10. joeyd

joeyd Member

Hi

I am in Melbourne and bought small trout fingerlings in December 2010 from the Ballarat trout farm. I got them through last summer as we did not have too many consecutive hot days and the small fish did not have a large oxygen demand. I have been harvesting over the last two weeks and still have about 30 500gm fish in the system. Lately I have increased my pump rate and added an extra air pump. Hoping to keep the remaining fish a little longer to keep up the nutrient supply.
    Here are photos of some recently harvested fish.

Cheers

Attached Files:

11. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

Nice trout Joey....

Don't try and push fish of that size going through this summer... eat them...