1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Grow Beds?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by adam.francis, Nov 26, 2010.

1. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

You guys really helped me out with finding a FT with the IBC idea..

so now i need your help for some grow bed idea's.. ???

i dont want to cut up the IBC for a grow bed, and i thought of the idea of cutting rain barrels in half but its too much work on the siphon side of things..

any idea's??

2. satori

satori New Member

I am in the same process as you , trying to get my setup together . Maybe a master siphon that drains your beds at the same time?

I too am looking for beds , rather not use blue barrels unless i have to. Home depot has large totes that can be used they are the perfect depth , but again the siphon issue and expense at like 20 bucks a pop also they are not very wide or long...

3. trout

trout New Member

I think old bathtubs are the way to go

3 bathtubs as growbeds
    1 bathtub as sump
    one megasyphon

the perfect unit.

cheers Lou

4. Erich

Erich Member

dont do heaps of blue barrels. I almost had to sell my heart and lungs to pay for the plumbing and decided to halt the extension till I also work out another way (30 x 1/2 barrels that is)

Bathtubs or make GB me thinks

5. dufflight

dufflight Member

Uniseals make the plumbing a little cheaper.

6. Erich

Erich Member

they do - however still not cheap

7. trout

trout New Member

Just a thought.
    Cut the ends out of the half barrels and join them together
    either heat gun or stainless nuts/bolts with silicon.
    If you join 10 together you'll have 3 long growbeds.
    Seems such a shame after all the work you've done to let
    it go.

cheers Lou

8. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

thanks for the responses guys.. i've been doing alot of thinking on this.. found a guy that sells IBC's for $100.. i might just fold and buy 3 of them, 1 for the FT, one i'll cut horizontally, use the bottom as the sump and the top as a grow bed.. the 3rd i'll cut each side vertically and get 2 larger GBs.. what you think?

9. chainsaw

chainsaw New Member

Hi All,

Have come to conclusion the cheapest (and probably best) way to connect blue barrels is with "TopHat Grommets" you can get both 19 and 25 mm. I would go for the 25 mm personnally. Cost of a grommet is less than $1.00 each, then use a straight pvc hose connector.

Grommet into base of barrel then push in connector. Grommet into 90 mm pvc pipe and push onto other end of connector.........job done. Connect all barrells together the same way and at the end fit a Mega Syphon using all 90 mm fittings.

Can get the TopHats off ebay or here is a link I found......

http://www.wetearth.com.au/TopHatGrommets

Couple of photos.........although like others I did mine the expensive way.

Attached Files:

10. nick

nick New Member

have used the top hats and they are bastards to put the pipe through and then they leak. Would never use them again.

11. Erich

Erich Member

chainsaw

As per our discussions, I would agree that's the cheapest way. To do a bank of 10, it would cost approx $60 for the outlets and Siphon (not inlet)

nick - I have 5 bb with 19mm grommets of inlet and outlet, no worries here. You need to drill a hole 3mm wider, im sure you know that. Less or more, you wont get it in or it will leak :)

12. chainsaw

chainsaw New Member

Yep, 3mm about right. They recommend and I bought a 22 mm holesaw for 19 mm grommet. Use a bit of silicone lube or vasoline when assembling (don't use oil). I had no problems with them leaking, you probably made the holes too large.

13. Erich

Erich Member

I question Chainsaw, you dont have any issues with it breaking the MS early if it has a minor leak?

14. chainsaw

chainsaw New Member

Erich..............???????????????????? Sorry I dont understand the question, could you please rephrase it.

15. Erich

Erich Member

ahhh :)

With the top hat grommets, occasionally they could leak a little bit. As its on the siphon side, if it sucks a bit of air in, could it break the siphon to early? I think not, however you run them :)

16. chainsaw

chainsaw New Member

Nick, Tophat Grommets are not designed to push a pipe through............for that you use a "Uniseal". TopHats are designed to be able tap into a larger pipe (normally PVC) and run a low pressure hose from it, normally with LP irrigation poly pipe,and using the poly fittings.

17. chainsaw

chainsaw New Member

You wont have problems with sucking air or affecting the syphon..............

One test is worth 100 expert opinions.

18. Erich

Erich Member

kewl - costing up the mega siphon, mega blue barrel system this week ;)