1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Greenhouse Roofing Materiels

Discussion in 'Greenhouse - Shade house.' started by gudgeon, Apr 8, 2010.

1. trout

trout New Member

Forgot to tell you

the metal hoops to cover 5m span cost $50 each.
    placed 2m apart.

I don't think it's worth trying to make your own unless your making 20 or so

cheers Lou

2. Erich

Erich Member

Pretty good actually

Got a link for these or did you have em made (if yes, what out of and thickness :) )

3. fishfood

fishfood Active Member

4. trout

trout New Member

www.monbulkrural.com.au

their website isn't real flash

They make them on the premises, I didn't buy them.
    I made my own hence I feel I'm an expert when I say
    buy them.

They use a bender that's probably worth 5-6 thousand dollars
    hence each is exactly perfect.

If you try to make them the first two or three you would need to discard
    until you gain some experience.
    furthermore the the cost of the tube (think it was 25mm tube ) would
    cost $30.00.

The time and effort involved your better off buying them.

Regardless Monbulk is too far away for you, look up the yellow pages
    for greenhouse suppliers in an area with a lot of growers that use greenhouses.

since they buy their film at 1000 m at a time it's cheaper then
    your local nursery. Also they're out in the country where people seem
    to be more honest. Ooops am I allowed to say that?

cheers Lou

5. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

Of course you are Lou.... and I'd hope that we would all.... and bring to an end the spin & bull**** of the "sophisticated" end of town... where lies & dishonesty have become twisted into acceptable business presentation... :D

6. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    I've just spotted this thread, so I know the info is a bit late, but may be helpful for future reference.

Supposedly the colour of the shadecloth affects the growth rate and internodal stretch of plants, according to the "experts", white is the best.

I am a horticultralist and for a few years I worked as head groundsperson at a TAFE college that taught horticulture, it had a large shadehouse covered in green shadecloth. One day some boffin from the science dept, a botanist, decided the green had to go, they removed the green shadecloth and replaced it with white, it cost them thousands.

They assured me the plants would be healthier and the shadehouse would be slightly cooler. I wasn't part of thier experiments or testing, so I don't know what the outcome was, but there must've been some science behind it.

7. Erich

Erich Member

id like some further info on this.

My understanding is the same (from weekend country gardening shows on the radio). They suggest - generally 50% or 30% WHITE is the go - not green

Anyone with their thoughts? Does it have to do with locality?

8. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
  9. Erich

Erich Member

lol - where is green and black then ;)

10. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Was just reading on another site that black and green are no no's!

11. Erich

Erich Member

lol - I have no real idea on colours but the cool kids say white is the magic colour ;)

12. rohan

rohan New Member

I'm going laserlite but not the clear stuff but a lighter shade than black. However this is based primarily on future uses of the area should we sell. Definately shade cloth on the sides to keep the critters out.

Regards Ro.

13. Tdsal2

Tdsal2 New Member

Amen to that brother..

14. rohan

rohan New Member

Alright if the cool kids say white, then white it is.

15. Erich

Erich Member

2 weeks ago, I was listening on the radio (1395 in Adelaide) on one of those gardening shows. A dude came on who runs a major shade business speaking about this.

With white vs green shade-cloth etc, it basically comes down to white having a better light for photosynthesis etc, it does not give the sun light coming through a false green tinge like green does and the plants respond to white light a lot better. 50% seems to be a good grade unless it really gets hot then 70 seems to suit.

There are also colors like red, blue, yellow etc and they do different things like either slow down growth, fruiting or speed it up etc

16. trout

trout New Member

When I bought my greenhouse materials a couple of months ago they
    gave me 50% white shade cloth.
    They didn't even ask if I wanted a different colour.
    That's what they sell to all the commercial growers in the area.
    They had heaps of it, getting ready for summer.
    It seems to be the industry standard.

17. riverman

riverman New Member

Shade House

Murray,

This is Riverman (ted) from Arkansas in the US. I was with you when you came to the California. While we were there, we visited Ron's greenhouse which had a one layer thick white greenhouse cover. While it was much thicker than most covers and he was not using a shade cloth...

In Arkansas where I am building my greenhouse, we had several days (20+) where the temperature reached over 100f this past summer. In the dome greenhouse I am building, I was planning on using is a two cover system with air blown between the two sheets. I was planning on adding shade cloth on the inside of the greenhouse during the heat of the summer...

Which do you think would be best...one thick layer that I could add shade cloth to the outside during the summer or a two layer system with air blown between for added insulation then adding shade cloth to the inside during the summer?

Thanks for any input!

18. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Hi Ted,
    Most greenhouses here in Aussie use the single layer plastic with a removable shade cloth over the top in summer. The double skin type is most beneficial in cold climates as an insulator. I am told by our greenhouse supplier that heat is best dealt with by using the shade cloth and additionally the use of misters as we saw in Ron's greenhouse.
    The misters will give a 5 degree C drop in temp if the relative humidity is low....not so much as the relative humidity rises.