1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Gravel and PH issues

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by JasonW, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Max Hillaert

Max Hillaert New Member

United Kingdom
    State:
    Greater London
    City:
    London
    Thanks Robert. Good info. I've just only recently learned that phosphate is a buffer. Most aquaponics information seems to be geared towards using carbonates to buffer up. I've got hard ph 8.5 tap water with kh13 alkalinity. I've been using phosphoric acid treated top up water to bring my ph down to 7.5 currently with kh 2. I have killed a fish once or twice when topping up too aggressively, so slow seems to be the way to go.

Currently my carbonates buffer is almost used up (kh 2) and I'm hoping the phosphates buffer (100ppm) will be enough to stabilize at 7.0 and prevent ph crash or swings. Slightly nervous , but I'm believing in this phosphate buffer lol!

Strangely I have no algae problems even though fish tank is fully exposed. I used to have huge algae problems when my ph was high. I'm not quite sure why algae aren't growing with high amounts of phosphates in the water. It may be that my iron eddha supplements (for ph > 7.5) contain red dye is making the water too dark for blooms, or possibly algae also need nitrate and my plants that aren't now locked out of nutrient uptake at ph 7.5 are out competing algae? I also run on 3ppm salt, and I read that can help prevent algae possibly.