1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

frogs

Discussion in 'Aquaponics Ideas' started by David Appleby, Apr 20, 2014.

1. David Appleby

David Appleby New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Cairns
    Ok so my AP system now about 5 weeks old and going well, except i seem to be feeding the local caterpillar population a lot of my greens, my silverbeet seedling got so hammered i pulled the remains out and replaced them with other plants. I had the idea that i need predators in my grow bed and was happy when i found a couple of spider webs amongst the tomatoes, however they wer very small and no match for a caterpillar. so Frogs, throughout my backyard i have found many microfrogs (Litoria fallax) called either green reed frog or dwarf tree frog, my thoughts were to perhaps using some plastic gutter guard in a cylinder shape and put into the grow bed to make a micro pond after removing the the media (clay balls) so that these frogs would have a place to breed(also away from cane toads, too high) and then introduce a couple of these frogs to the grow bed. also thought of adding kang kong(chinese water spinach) to the micopond for structure (place to anchor eggs). thoughts anyone on the viability of this?

2. Terra

Terra Active Member

Australia
    State:
    south australia
    City:
    Riverland
    Hi David

You have the right idea getting a predator base im always catching spiders and small lizards and releasing them into hiding spots amongst my system . If you provide the right habitat you can have all these living and working on site for you . Good to see someone whos not looking to spray everything. Short term you can get on top of serious caterpillars with "Dipel" a bacteria product that destroys the caterpillar gut . (Ive never used it and probably never will im just like that ) .

A project for me is a large gheko hotel tucked up under my tankstand base with a ladder up to the growbeds I know they love living under sheoak bark that lifts away as it drys so several lengths packed together tied up underneath will help a lot .

First what sort of caterpillars are you dealing with , do some research KNOW your enemy same for other problems like aphids and white fly ect . For example are the moths nocturnal or active in daylight . If they are around in large numbers its likely they are breeding nearby . Nocturnals can be cleaned up by the bug zapper lights , think WHY are they around and how can I deal with them . (Do less sooner) lot easier to deal with them before they lay their eggs .

Another thing is grow your own seedlings if you buy plants with eggs on them from a nursery your up against the wall before you start , in Mitre 10 today looking for some flowering perenials to help my predators through the winter and there was cabbage moths everywhere , I would have cleaned them up quick smart (badminton racket) but of course no ones going to do that . Protect your seedlings from attack so you know they are clean by nets or screens .

I Keep the cabbage moths away by setting up many MANY fake white moths made from white plastic strung up on fishing line , they come in and see all these fake moths and go away again ive found it very successful , you might be able to find something similar that works for you . I also have many small birds in my area that would hunt the daytime moths Wrens are good for this.

For now maybe grow a few sacrificial plants that the moths prefer in pots full of gravel that sit inside larger pots buried in the growbeds . So you can lift them out deal with the pests (eg hose off ) and return the plants to catch some more .

If you have a small system physically netting the moths out may work for you until you get organised , predators need a permanent feed source or will take off and somewhere they like to live .