1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Forum Migration and Update

Discussion in 'Notice Board' started by Murray, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Todo10

Todo10 Administrator Staff Member

Argentina
    State:
    Santa Fe
    City:
    Santa Fe
    ....:meh:....:mooning:

2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
  3. Drdamage

Drdamage Member

I'm getting a "Connection error" when I try to view pictures in the forum on the iPhone app Forum Runner. When I click on the attached picture it goes to full screen but stays blurry and says "connection error".

Some pictures work but most don't. This problem could be on my end, not sure. Just updated to ios 7 last week so that may be the problem.

4. kellenw

kellenw Member

ZF is very solid forum software. I've worked with it on a couple of projects, and it's an absolute pleasure to work with, especially compared to vB. Sadly, vB has gone downhill ever since they were bought out. It used to be the standard by which all other forum solutions were measured against. The latest version (5) is a train wreck. I can't understand why they thought it was ready for production release.

I converted APHQ/APN to IP Board for Gary recently. IPB has a few integration features out of the box that were needed in this case for some site work that is in progress. I really like both packages, and generally, the nod for one over the other only has to do with personal preference of the site owner or specific integration aspects that might give the advantage to one over the other. It's a shame that PHPBB (what BYAP uses) has essentially stalled in development. Actually, it stalled many years ago, and just continues in that state. hehe... It used to be one fine open source forum package, but is really showing its age these days. I ran a lot of forums on that years ago. I wouldn't today though.

Anyway, great job. It's looking really nice. :)

Todo10 likes this.
  5. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    It is proving to be mostly just fine this new software. Sorry about the problem you are having Drdamage, I will ask Claudio to take a look. He can fix most things.....if they can be fixed that is.
    Not all software does all things and sometimes there are little things that just cannot be resolved.

On the continuous development of Forum software, like all things they have their peak times. Perhaps we will not see much more modernisation of some packages. Claudio convinced me we should move up to this and I feel overall it has been good.

:brb::bigtears:bow1

Todo10 likes this.
  6. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    With regards to iPhone connectivity, for those of us that are not running an external forum software interface the forums built in mobile interface is a vast improvement over what we had before. I have simply saved a shortcut from safari to my phone's home screen.

The upgrade is a great improvement. Thanks for making this happen.
    :thumbsup2:

Todo10 likes this.
  7. Todo10

Argentina
    State:
    Santa Fe
    City:
    Santa Fe
    That's a common issue when websites have more traffic than the one they can handle as you can read here:
    http://www.forumrunner.net/forum/showthread.php?p=8555

Forumrunner plugin is updated and all is perfectly configured. Have you tried Tapatalk?
    AQ is also using a responsive style so you can use your mobile phone without need to install another app like Forumrunner or Tapatalk

8. Todo10

Argentina
    State:
    Santa Fe
    City:
    Santa Fe
    Hi Kellen,

You are right, VB isn't the best option to start or migrate a forum to this platform. I don't like IPB due it isn't easy to customize as XF or vB is

9. kellenw

kellenw Member

Agreed. XF is a lot easier to customize. IPB can be very challenging at times with regard to customization, but it offers a more robust integration feature set, and IP.C is incredibly powerful once you wrap your mind around it... which is not easy to do I might add.... hehehe.....

Todo10 likes this.
  10. Bill C

Bill C Member

This is a test...just a single post

Todo10 likes this.