1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Fish Death

Discussion in 'Fish' started by denandbil, Aug 8, 2011.

1. denandbil

denandbil Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Grovedale
    Just lost one of my Silvers. Unfortunately it was the biggest one.

Didn't take piccys. The only markings I saw was a tiny amount of fin rot. Gills nice and red so not an oxygen issue. All water readings fine exept ammonia was .5 instead of the usual .25

All the others seem happy. I know that I'm a little overstocked so I might consider some extra filtering of some sort. Especially coming into summer when the Silvers are going to be more active.

2. denandbil

denandbil Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Grovedale
    More Fish Deaths

Ok. So now I have lost 8 Silvers and I am getting worried. Here's the facts.

Deaths have occured 1 at a time over the past 2 weeks.

3 Bed Balcony Kit

Water Temp 13
    Ph Usually 6.4, was 6 on Sunday so some lime added
    Ammonia .25
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate between 10-20

Food for fish is extra lettuce from beds, pellets and worms. The lettuce has been sprayed with a garlic spray.

Pics are attached of latest death.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      23.7 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      25.1 KB
      Views:
  3. Castaway

Castaway Senior Member

I'm at a loss to understand your fish deaths Dennis. I can only think of toxic sprays or sinister feed. I hope the cause is revealed soon. Best of luck.

4. denandbil

denandbil Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Grovedale
    I had 2 more fish die. One of them did have an ulcer near the tail.

All the others have had no noticeable markings and were looking healthy.

I put in 3kgs of salt.

5. denandbil

denandbil Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Grovedale
    Since salting there have been no more deaths.

6. DaveOponic

DaveOponic New Member

Have you done a water change? (90%) I would usually try a water change before adding salt if it is only a few fish. Quarantine any fish with physical damage to another tank.

good luck - always a worry when we lose fish -

7. denandbil

denandbil Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Grovedale
    I haven't tried a water change Dave. And I only saw the ulcer when the fish was dead. Does anyone have any suggestions for quarantine when we don't have a second/fingerling tank?

8. triggs

triggs New Member

Just curious why you use lime rather than "pH up / down" ?
    Do you notice any differences? How longs the adjustment in pH take after you add lime? And how do the fish respond too it?

Cheers!

9. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

Using lime has the added benefit of supplying calcium to the systems.. as well as the pH buffering...

Whereas many pHup/down products are sodium based....

10. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

Oh.... and lime is about a hundreth of the price of the "bottled" stuff...

11. triggs

triggs New Member

Interesting, Thank you! I will have to give it a try. Anything thats cheaper with the same or better results is sweet in my books. Thanks again!

12. stimson

stimson New Member

i have also had a few silver perch deaths recently, about 1 per week recently. They all appear to have bites or ulcer looking things across the top - refer pic. Does anyone have a suggestions what is the cause and what i should do?
    The system has been running fine since inception in April.
    I had noticed they have not been as hungry as usual with food being left behind in the arvo from the morning feed. I have the water temps around 20deg.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  13. Matt01

Matt01 New Member

Also looking for answers. I have lost nearly 20 fish (out of 270) over the last 5-6 weeks. Nothing has changed recently and the system and the fish have been doing well. It has been running just over 12 months now with no problems. The deaths have been either single deaths or 2-3 at a time followed by a few days before the next one. All the other fish seem to be swimming well with the only noticable difference might be a slight drop in feeding (the water temp has dropped over the last couple of weeks after it was starting to rise after some warmer weather). I haven't noticed any 'flashing' or other signs I have read about.There are no lesions or obvious parasites or fungal signs present. The fish are in good condition. I haven't seen fish near the top struggling to breath, they seem to either be ok or die relatively quickly as I have been checking them very regularly.
    I have taken the latest 3 fish to the local Agricultural Dept who have a fish health dept.I hope they can give me some idea. Any help gratefully excepted. Matt01

14. fishfood

fishfood Active Member

Just my thoughts a water change wont do much if the fish are already sick you need salt to treat the problem

15. DaveOponic

DaveOponic New Member

I suppose it will depend on the type of fish, water condition, stocking density, pH, temperature and other variables.

I think I have only used salt once or twice in 6 years of keeping fish in AP. On the other hand, I change water maybe every 4 - 6 weeks in my three tanks.

I don't even keep a bag of salt handy. Can't remember last time I lost a fish . . . but then, I keep Tilapia and I realise that a lot of folks are keeping fish that are much more susceptible to disease.

I was also referring to the situation where just one or a few fish are found to be sick or dead. Take those fish out and change the water and probably all is well.

I think that adding salt is a bit like "shocking" the swimming pool with chlorine - a pretty drastic last resort really. If the water quality is good (good filtration) and the fish aren't overcrowded or overfed, then diseased fish are less likely. look at the causes of sick fish before tossing in the medicine.

and if all else fails add salt.

16. denandbil

denandbil Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Grovedale
    Hi Matt, I will be very interested in what your local Ag Dept has to say. Please post the results when you have them.

What fish are you keeping?

17. Matt01

Matt01 New Member

I have silver perch. I lost another 3 overnight so is getting worse. Again the fish appear to be perfectly healthy. It seems to be effecting the larger fish. Will contact AG dept today and see if they found anything.

18. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Hi Matt,

- How many litres of water in your system?... total of sump and FT.
    - What is the media capacity of your GB's
    - Have you checked Amm, Nitrites and pH?... what were the levels?
    - What is your FT water temp?
    - How are you aerating your FT?
    - What kind of system are you running?... ie: Flood and drain with auto siphon, Timed flood and drain, Constant flood etc.
    - How often are you turning over your FT water?... ie: is your pump large enough to turn over the entire FT capacity in under an hour?

Cheers, Yabbies.

19. Matt01

Matt01 New Member

Sorry for the delay in replying Yabbies.
    My system has a pond capacity of about 8000l. My grow beds are 4000l less media which is 12-15 mm pea gravel. I use a 8000l oases pump in a flood and drain. The cycle takes about 40-45 minutes. The extra pump capacity is sprayed through a manifold into/onto the pond surface. I also run a small pond pump to add to the aeration.
    The AG dept found signs of stress in the pancreas's of the sample fish I took to them. No obvious signs of parasites etc. Some inflamed epithelium cells in the gills. No obvious signs of disease. Ammonia, nitrates at negligible levels, pH was 7. They suggested to do some water changes over the next few days. Other than that they couldn't find anything obvious that is causing the problem. Lost another 4 overnight. So hoping the water changes start to help over the weekend. If not will catch a couple of the healthy fish and take them in for testing.
    Cheers Matt01

20. Wendy in BC

Wendy in BC New Member

I thought I'd just throw my $.02 in. My thoughts are that if it's the biggest fish that are dying, I'm inclined to think lack of oxygen. Matt you mentioned your pond has an 8000L capacity, how much water is in it?

I don't grow perch so I'm not familiar with their water requirements.

I don't believe we've seen what your water chemistry looks like (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH) that would be helpful.