1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback on this setup

Discussion in 'TotePonics - IBC - CHOP Systems' started by kaiser, Jan 3, 2014.

1. kaiser

kaiser New Member

Would there be any issues with the attached design.

I want to take advantage of the sump area and place floating rafts on them. New Aquaponics design.jpg

2. TonyS

TonyS Active Member

Australia
    State:
    QLD
    City:
    Bunya
    Hi Kaiser,

There is no issue with that setup, the rafts will go up and down with the water level as the GB's fill and drain and also as water is added and evaporates but this is fine.

Enjoy the experience

Tony

3. Drdamage

Drdamage Member

I personally would go just the one sump, because I try to go as close to 1:1 water to growbed ratio. Your system has approx 1600 litres water and 600 litres growbed. This isn't necessarily a problem but my only suggestion would be to try just one sump to begin with.

Looks like it'll be a great setup.

4. TonyS

TonyS Active Member

Australia
    State:
    QLD
    City:
    Bunya
    I would recommend the opposite in this case, the more sump volume the more water volume in the system and the more stable the system will be.

Also As the sump is being used for the DWC, the more volume of sump relative to the total system volume the less impact evaporation will have on the water height.

5. Drdamage

Drdamage Member

I prefer to stay as close to 1:1 ratio.

On my original setup which was similar to this but without the DWC, I added an extra 600L FT that I used for fingerlings and duckweed. I noticed after I added this to the system, I needed a lot more water flow through the GB's to filter the extra amount of water. It kinda tipped the system over the edge and just wouldn't balance right.

So, now I just prefer to keep as close to that ratio.

6. Bill C

Bill C Member

Just my opinion but 2 sumps sounds redundant even knowing you are using them as DWCs also. If it was me, I would keep the sump a sump and the DWC a DWC. It seams to me this would maintain flexibility in the system, each part of the system doing the thing it does best and letting the other parts doing there thing.

7. kaiser

kaiser New Member

Well I couldn't let the bugs get the better of me. Whatever I grew just got chewed up and either became butterflies or moths and even grasshoppers. The project is nearly finished. More photos after project up and running.

Layout 1.JPG Layout 2.JPG positioning.JPG welding.JPG gravity.JPG covered.JPG

Rough cost so far

Pipe - $150
    Shade cloth - $140
    Star pickets - $70
    Battens - $80
    Steel - $80
    Piping - approx $50 odd with extras
    Pavers - $30
    Sand - $15
    Welding rods - $22
    Wood - free (parents come in handy)

I'm adding some traditional grow beds along the inner edge to take advantage of the space. I would rather wicking beds but Id have to go find or make some containers and I cant be bothered.

Cris likes this.
  8. Aussie Blue

Aussie Blue New Member

Australia
    State:
    QLD
    City:
    Cairns
    Hi kaiser, I am in cairns as well. Very curious as to how your systems have been going up here.

9. kaiser

kaiser New Member

Nearly finished Aussie Blue. Second support finished and the bed is on it but I have a leak and need to fix it. I think my next few days off I will finish and start planting. I have reticulated the whole thing and it works well. It will be interesting to see if I can keep the bugs out.

10. Aussie Blue

Aussie Blue New Member

Australia
    State:
    QLD
    City:
    Cairns
    Well done, will be great to see your results.
    Ducks and chickens love all bugs.....

11. kaiser

kaiser New Member

photo (1).JPG photo (2).JPG photo (3).JPG photo (4).JPG
    Dont ask me why the photos ended up sideways - they are not on my pc. Anyway you can rotate yourself.

So all I have to do now is seal off the bottom of the shade cloth and Im done. Already planted seeds in the growth beds and as you can see I have some pots in styrofoam that has an assortment of greens. After a few days they are already shooting. PH is high but its expected because I refilled everything with the town water which is high PH.

Gravity feed is working very well and have the pump pumping at full speed into the fish tank and everything is staying in equilibrium. Bell syphons are working flawlessly - better than before with an extended pipe causing that extra suction to get the syphon to kick in.

Barra will be on the dinner plate in the next few weeks and will replace with 30 jade perch. As has been mentioned before, barra are not recommended for beginners. I had some fun with them but I put a lot of time and worry into these guys. I now prefer a fish that can eat a wide range of foods and is not fussy in what they eat.

Attached Files:

12. Aussie Blue

Aussie Blue New Member

Australia
    State:
    QLD
    City:
    Cairns
    Quick question, what are your tank temps? I am trying to decide what fish to use in a blue barrel system.
    From the look of the hill behind your house, looks like the south side of cairns?

13. kaiser

kaiser New Member

Sorry for the late reply Aussie Blue.

Temps vary from 31 deg in summer to around 21 average in winter. Under shake cloth at 20% in the last week or so its been around the 28.
    I will be getting Jade Perch in the next couple of weeks. If you want to get Barra then Id recommend you do while its hot or when water temps stay above 25. I bought mine in May last year and because water temps stayed around the low 20s they were hard to feed and stressed easily.
    If I could Id like to get Tilapia but its unlawful to possess in QLD although they exist in nearly every waterway I know of. As you know they are hardy and will eat anything.

14. Aussie Blue

Aussie Blue New Member

Australia
    State:
    QLD
    City:
    Cairns
    Thanks Kaiser. With this overcast the max temp I have measured in a blue barrel is 28.
    I think I will use your advice and go with JP. Shame about tilapia, the neighbours kids always catch them, they are everywhere.

15. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    We notice that some are keeping Cairns perch and Townsville perch and down this way Brisbane perch...:confused:

16. Aussie Blue

Aussie Blue New Member

Australia
    State:
    QLD
    City:
    Cairns
    I hear that Cairns perch makes a fine meal.... ;)