1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Electrical Conduit vs White PVC

Discussion in 'Greenhouse - Shade house.' started by Rob, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Rob

Rob Super Moderator

PM sent thanks ccbear.

Rob

2. Walks-In-Storms

Walks-In-Storms New Member

I'm belated here, but for what it's worth (and I was remiss in not mentioning it earlier), I, too, have used plastic pipe filled with concrete ("Sakrete" or the like) for posts and vertical support beams in my greenhouse. When I put a greenhouse over my new growbeds (as I soon will), I'll add "rebar" in the form of heavy wire - that especially for horizontal beams and the like.

Just be careful that the cement-filled member or members doesn't become too heavy: If you observe the (mathematical engineering) rule of not exceeding four feet between support members, you won't need the cement. I've used cement mostly when I had to drive a length of pipe into the ground. Cement or concrete reinforced posts are ideal for this locale - strong, won't rot, impervious to termites, and the like.

If I can be of assistance with any more of my experiences having to do with the matter, I hope you won't hesitate to ask (lots of experience).

Oh, and by the way (something someone else mentioned here, I think), you can avoid trouble with pouring the cement (into smaller diameter pipe, for instance) by just making the stuff "soupier" - stand the pipe on end with a screen under it, and the excess water will drain. Concrete and cement almost literally "suck" water, you know (I use a sprinkling of concrete to deal with our Texas clay when digging: the stickiest stuff god ever made, it can be made to behave with a shovel - "scour," we say in Iowa - that way.