1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Electrical Conduit vs White PVC

Discussion in 'Greenhouse - Shade house.' started by Rob, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Rob

Rob Super Moderator

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at building a hoop based shade house.

I know the PVC can get quite brittle, but know that Electrical Conduit is UV stabilised. I think i read someone on here using it, but can't seem to find it.

But does anyone have any experience or comments either way?

It's cheap too - which is a benefit...

I know it's rated with all sorts of markings, but just found this:
    http://www.ecm.net.au/conduits.php which helps decode the codes.

And i suppose there's all sorts of fittings etc for conduit if it was needed for some reason too. Any thoughts?

Rob

2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    It can be obtained with very thick walls which makes for a better job......Good idea.

3. dufflight

dufflight Member

You can get rolls of black pipe that they use for domestic water. Has the mtr marks along the sides.

4. Rob

Rob Super Moderator

You mean the black irrigation poly pipe?

Rob

5. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    The high pressure stuff with the blue line along it that the cockies use!

6. Rob

Rob Super Moderator

Yeah - it's extremely durable, and should last longer... so i think it's worth a close look.

Rob

7. Rob

Rob Super Moderator

Cockies? Not sure i follow...

8. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Are you seriously?... :eek:

Your profile says you're from Stralia???

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  9. Rob

Rob Super Moderator

Apparently not...

*waits for uh-huh moment*

10. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
  11. Rob

Rob Super Moderator

Ah ok - no penny drop sorry - have never heard that term :D

Maybe too young...

But more to the point... not sure what differences there are between using the poly pipe or conduit...

Rob

12. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    I've seen electrical conduit that has been exposed to the sun become brittle and crack or shatter when hit or knocked etc. I haven't seen poly tube do that.

Also, the poly tube would be more flexible and willing to bend to the required radius IMO.

13. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Super Moderator

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Adelaide
    Hi Rob,

Duff's idea is the best I reckon...makes a lot of sense to me....

I wouldn't worry about using the others after seeing The irrigation pipe being used.... It's a lot easier then bending PVC or electrical conduit...unless you use annaconda and pay a king's ransom for it...

Cockie's?... it's like sparky's, spitter's and tuners, grease monkey's...Whistling

Cheers.

14. Walks-In-Storms

Walks-In-Storms New Member

I've been using the grey conduit-type vinylchloride pipe for almost every conceivable thing and for several years now. I find it supremely easy and swift to work with, and it's much cheaper here than schedule forty, white polyvinylchloride water pipe. The frame for the greenhouse I've mentioned (there are photos here elsewhere) is made of the two inch stuff. Keep lengths between support or bracing under four feet, however.

I've also built and use, by the way, frameworks with which to put up sun shade, and for hanging sheets for cover against cold temperature (put a heat lamp underneath) in the winter here.

Great stuff, especially since I haven't seen a straight piece of framing lumber around here for years.

15. Rob

Rob Super Moderator

Thanks everyone for your input.

Yeah... i suppose i was more concerned that it would be "too" flexible.

I guess it all depends...

Rob

16. joeyd

joeyd Member

Hi

I built a polytunnel using agriculture pipe. I had it lying around as a left over. To strengthen them I filled them with concrete and a single length of 12mm re-enforcement bar. The structure is also braced with timber on the inside.

Cheers

Joey

Attached Files:

17. Rob

Rob Super Moderator

Hi Joey,

Thanks for the info.

How did you fill them with concrete? Would think that would be extremely hard ?

The timber on the sides is a great idea for structural integrity.

Do you have any more pictures you could share?

Rob

18. joeyd

joeyd Member

Hi Rob

Actually they were filled with mortar mix. The reo bar was inserted first then the mortar was rammed in until it started coming out at the other end. Basically it was a lot of mucking around I only did it because I had the plastic water pipe to start with. If I were to do it again I would have hoops rolled from reo steel by someone like ARC. They bend reo to your spec for very cheap prices. Then cover the hoops with hoop tape before adding your plastic.

Cheers

Joey

19. Rob

Rob Super Moderator

Thanks Joey.

I suspect the steel would be prohibitively expensive by comparison, but may be wrong.

I'll do some more investigation.

Thanks for the info.
    Rob

20. ccbear

ccbear New Member

I use black 50 mm Rural irrigation pipe, not the blue high pressure. For support get star pickets, the original ones not the narrow modern ones. The poly fits over the star pickets. My shade house now chook yard is 6m x 4m wide with star picket supports every two metres in length.

As side batterns I used ceiling top hat batterns and screwed them to the poly every 900mm from the centre down. If you want to pm me your email I believe I still have the original article giving construction details. It was originaly set up as a shade house for wicking beds.