1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Eisenia Hortensis in Aquaponics

Discussion in 'General Aquaponics discussion - Aquaponics system ' started by seanxwarp, Jun 5, 2016.

1. seanxwarp

seanxwarp New Member

United States
    State:
    California
    City:
    San Diego
    I have a 9 week old outdoor aquaponics system that has 3 media grow beds, a sump, and a goldfish tank that has 4 air stones for aeration. Each grow bed is on constant flood. Last week, I added 10 European Nightcrawlers to each growbed. Today, I found most of them dead near the drain pipe or in the sump tank. Since they thrived in my compost bin, I thought they would survive like eisenia fetida. Why did they die? I thought compost worms could survive in oxygenated water. There is currently a mild algae bloom that happened about 2 weeks ago

2. Ringer

Ringer Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Jimboomba
    Hi Seanxwrap,
    Assuming your waters healthy and not too warm I'd guess they drowned.
    Worms will survive flood drain but I think they'll drown in constant flood environments.
    Cheers

3. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Flood and drain makes the bed oxygen rich so worms survive well. "Constant flood" can be lots of things. Exactly how do you have it set up?

4. seanxwarp

seanxwarp New Member

United States
    State:
    California
    City:
    San Diego
    Basically, my system is CHIFT PIST. I have the fish tank overflow water through a pipe that flows to the 3 growbeds. Each growbed is only 5 inches that's planted with lettuce. The stand pipe drains the water at 3.5 inches to a sump tank that pumps water to the fish tank. So the water level in the growbeds are at a constant 3.5 inches

5. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Yep, sorry to tell you that you are up-against-it trying to do it that way. It is well documented and well tested in literally tens of thousands of home systems that 300mm deep (1 foot) deep media grow beds using a flood and drain methodology either by syphons or timers ....works.

6. David Appleby

David Appleby New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Cairns
    Murry. I use a timer on my system. At the moment it is set to 1 hour on 1 hour off and the plants and fish are doing very well. But what would be the ideal cycle time?

7. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    That should work David, although should not need an hour to fill the grow bed. The time should be such that the bed/s get flooded, switch off....the beds drain, switch on again.

8. David Appleby

David Appleby New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Cairns
    Cheers for that. Will have a play with during the week and see what i come up with.

9. seanxwarp

seanxwarp New Member

United States
    State:
    California
    City:
    San Diego
    After reading your response, I added a 1.5 ft growbed that's filled with about enough scoria to be at 300 mm mark. I set the standpipe to drain at 10.5 inches. If I were to add the same worm species into this growbed, could they possibly survive since they have some space without water?

10. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Hi Sean,
    The worms will be just fine.