1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Dying leaves beans and cucumbers

Discussion in 'Plants' started by kaiser, Sep 6, 2013.

1. kaiser

kaiser New Member

Beans and cucumbers started very well. Harvested a lot of beans but in the last week or so the leaves are dying. Beans are also going all 'wonky', curling up in tight circles etc.

Cucumbers started fertilising and some cucumbers started to form. I had a problem with grubs but sorted that out. However Im losing plants and leaves and can see that within a week or so my cucumber plants will die.

Also in the grow bed is spring onion, parsley, lettuce (2 types), tomatoe and all are growing very well.

Ph at around 7
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrates/nitrites - 0
    Salt measured at 3ppt

Attached Files:

2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    …
    Looking at the pics I would say you have a Potassium deficiency, at least with the cucumbers (other plants also). It will show first as pale green patches between the veins and around the leaf margin on older, lower leaves. The newer growth will still be green and healthy. The yellow between the veins and around the leaf margins will progress to necrosis (dead tissue) and turn brown and crispy, giving a look similar to burning due to over-fertilisation. Potassium deficiency will also cause cucumber fruit to become mishapen, generally fatter at the bottom and skinnier at the stem end, as well as curved.

The bean plant looks more like salt damage to me, and 3ppt will affect beans.

I would do some daily, partial water changes (about 10%) with aged water (aerated 24hrs +) to try and get your salt level down to 1ppt and also add some Potassium bicarbonate (sold as Eco-fungicide) at 1 slightly heaped teaspoon per 1000L. Add the Potassium bicarb to a bucket of system water and add it back into the system in 3 stages over a couple of hours, it will buffer your ph up slightly.... Cheers!

3. kaiser

kaiser New Member

Many thanks Yabbies3me. After reading the internet I came to the same conclusion at about the same time you posted. Your analysis appears spot on. Will adopt your suggestions and see what happens.