1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Doomsday aquaponics?

Discussion in 'New Aquaponics systems - DIY' started by trebel, Jun 29, 2011.

1. trebel

trebel Member

belgium
    State:
    w vlaanderen
    City:
    zedelgem
  2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    It is a bit difficult to know what to make of it all really. Just reading this forum alone will tell you that there are a lot of folk who believe that things are not getting any better.
    Even if global warming is all true, there are lots of potential threats that could overtake us long before that comes true.
    Lots of folk are really worried about this kind of thing.

If you were to believe the bible....we are very near the end of life as we know it.
    Some follow the thinking associated with the Mayan calendar.
    GM seed and foods are a disaster waiting to happen, and a lot sooner than the effects of global warming.
    Then there is the global warming scenario.

3. DaveOponic

DaveOponic New Member

It would be interesting to hear what some of our American members think about the "Prepper" phenomenon . . .

The video reminded me of the films I saw in the sixties and seventies with U.S. citizens preparing for nuclear war and building fallout shelters with canned and preserved food caches to survive underground.

I thought the scary part was when they were drilling their kids and timing them as they put on their gas masks etc.

4. toraman

toraman Member

Thanks for the link, I just finished watching it. I think the hyper-inflation threat is very real, those old silver coins would be very handy insurance.

5. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    I think with the chickens crapping in his aquaponics system... e-coli or salmonella will kill his family before any armageddon does.

They explained how the chicken crap dropped into the AP system water to provide nutrients (even though they've got tilapia in the system?)...
    THEN THEY SCOOP SOME DUCKWEED OUT OF THE SAME WATER AND EAT IT!!! :24locos:

6. wireman

wireman New Member

Scary stuff, them preppers...

7. Hotrodmike

Hotrodmike New Member

Dave ,
    You asked !
    Do I think there are many who have gone overboard on things ,yes ,to a point .
    The big problems here is the US is making a big shift downward . Unemployement is much higher than the numbers they are tossing out .
    The Gov inspection of food is failing and if thats not bad enough a good portion of our food is coming from overseas ,mainly China .
    The Gov is busy printing money to keep ahead of the game as China has stopped most of the loans (as we have become a poor credit risk).
    A lot of food has gone up in price ( mostly due to inflation and transportation ) and getting harder for many just to buy food (or at least real food ).
    We have lost most of our industry to over seas and many farms have gone bankrupt.
    Then we have the problem of the entire infastucture crumbling due to greed and lack of maintainance . The water system is leaking under most of the cities at 10's of thousands of gallons a day let they toss the burdon off on the common people telling them how wasteful a dripping faucet is :eek:
    The electric grid has more problems every year with the increased load and tends to go down with brown outs during heavy loads . So what do they do ,,,tell us to run out and buy a million electric cars . So we can really over load it .
    Am I a prepper ? Well not to the extreme those people are ! Do I think we are in for a new way of living .Yup ,sure do and it will not be to a standard most are happy with as we become a new 3rd World country .
    Sad to say but the vast amount of the population is just flat spoiled and lazy and many so much I don't think you could scrape up enough motivation to grow their own food as they just figure SOMEONE will provide it:frustrated:
    I don't see a problem with having extra food and commodities in the event of any type of thing that could happen . I doubt we will get nuked but in the event the grid goes down you will have hundreds of reactors melting down due to lack of power to run cooling .
    Now if and I do say IF any of this happens it will be a mess and the mass of the population has no clue how to feed them selves or for many even where food comes from :frown:
    It makes me sad to see what was once a great nation crumbling under our feet and it's mostly cause by GREED !!!!!!!!
    Have A Kind Day
    Mike
    I also find it somewhat disturbing eating Chicken chit or even having my fish eat it :confused:

8. bill newton

bill newton Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Wamuran
    remember the book "on the beach" by nevil chute?? the people of melbourne were given the choice of dying peacefully in their sleep by using pills or risk the agony of radiation poisoning later ---- aweful choice to make!!!

on a happier note------

carna pies!!!drinkanimdrinkanimdrinkanim

9. toraman

toraman Member

Great post Mike, your definatly someone I'll love to have drinks with discussing how we what run the world. Keep safe mate
    , toraman

10. DaveOponic

DaveOponic New Member

Hey Mike,

things are pretty bad in the U.S. right now huh?

it still amazes me how many people in Asia will do anything to get a green card.

The site below lists the 10 best places to escape the end of the world (one poster to another forum mentioned West Texas - some comfort for you....

http://www.expatify.com/advice/10-best-places-to-live-for-escaping-world-conflict.html

I am teaching in Brunei ("The Home of Peace") it's a pretty safe little country. People are very religious here (in the nice kind of way) but extremism in any form is not tolerated.

We've been here six years in August - a great place to bring up our kids - no drug problem for teenagers, no violence, very little crime and a benevolent leader who looks after his people very well.

But sooner or later we'll go home back to Australia - what concerns me most right now is that my country seems to be swinging to the hard right - the average person seems overly obsessed with politics - or rather with the two lacklustre leaders slugging it out over some fairly minor issues - while we face nationally and globally some of the biggest challenges humans have ever had to face.

It's just too easy to shove your head in the sand and ignore the fact that we have shat in our own nest for too long - the spaceship is overburdened, overpopulated, polluted and will eventually become uninhabitable.

11. SurviveActResist

SurviveActResist New Member

Hi, my name is Steve and I'm a prepper (also very new to aquaponics so feel free to educate me & point me in the right direction as needed).

The reason we continue prepping is that me & my family have relied on our emergency supplies to get us thru some natural disasters & they were a godsend for sure. I also see the U.S. is headed in the wrong direction as evidenced with its high unemployment, inflation, devaluation of the $ , massive/unpayable debt & other problems. Personally for me & my family we see the benefits of being self sufficient, growing gardens & not relying on big government to bail us out.

With that said, when we started prepping we had a months extra supply of food. Then it just grew from there. Currently we have about a year & half supply of 30 year shelf life food if we ration it out. Also have bug-out-bags, medical supplies, guns, ammo, etc. BTW I'm a certified NRA firearms instructor & 20+ year military vet with LE experience too. We are not so concerned with global warming or nuclear war but we do see the need for systems like aquaponics - looks like a wonderful way to get the family together & grow healthy & safe veggies & fish. We really look forward toward building our first aquaponics system with many thanks to Murray & his DIY Aquaponics DVD (we are hooked).

One thing where we differ among other preppers is that we are not preparing for any specific threat like Y2K but rather we are on a continual journey to become self reliant & return to a simpler lifestyle & have fun doing it. Nothing worse than a 'prepper' who is all doom & gloom & doesn't enjoy the blessings they have like family relationships which are priceless.

So while there are extreme doomsday preppers & thats what natgeo is sensationalizing upon in order to get lots of viewers, the majority of us are just getting back to sustainable systems to get us thru everyday life & if something bad happens along the way, we have some extra stuff on hand. I agree with Mike that greed & corruption have led many a society to crumble & its the everyday citizens that get hammered. In light of that why not take steps to not be a victim?

Anyway, I really like the aquaponics concept & look forward to making our first system soon.

Take care & keep up the good work,

12. Hotrodmike

Hotrodmike New Member

Toraman
    Thanks , The problems can be solved ! The problem is ,as with everything there are two sides and to correct the problems one side is going to put a bigger bullseye on your back than Bin Laden :eek:

Funny thing about West Texas. Thats where I grew up and the safty feature would be ,theres not a damn thing anyone would target out there ,just vast dessert and endless scrub brush .

I have looked for some time on moving to Ecuador . I figure if the SHTF I would prefer to be in a third world country over a first world country . A lot less distance to fall in a poor country . Then the wife thinks I am insane but I still think it would be preferable to be rich in a poor country over poor in a rich country :D It also bothers me that far too many people in this country have just become complacent couch potatoes and with the current education we give in this country they don't even know better :frown:

The bad thing is this is not a isolated problem and is world wide . Once the dollar hits the skids it will take a lot of countries down with it . Much like Spain with the Euro . Most of the industrialized world has been spending far above their means and now it's time to pay the piper :mad: I was always taught you buy what you can afford and you only spend what you have but the new era thinks much different :frustrated:

The reason everyone still wants a green card is simple ,,,,entitlements !!!!!

I really do not hate America ,,,,,,I only hate what it has become !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Have A Kind Day
    Mike

13. plumberman

plumberman New Member

Wow...hello from Florida here, and all I can say is WOW.

On one hand, I agree of what is being said on both sides. Being a former solder as well as a military brat, even if the dollar does fall further, we still have the most powerful military might of ALL time. And we have the resources to back that might for a very long time. I think it is nieve to think that a great county like the US can fall. I know my history, and realize that Rome fell in a day, but we have resources cached that are not given up to citizens that are reserved to protect our country. Yes, life will suck, everyone will be starving(except the few who learned to be self suffeceint), but OUR borders will be safe.
    Am I a 'prepper'? Kinda...I am making the shift to conservation, and learning as much as I can to prepare to keep my wife and 4 kids alive in a catastrophe. Here is Florida, hurricans are a HUGH deal, we prep every year for another Katrina just in case. But with the world taking a big ****, it makes sense to BE prepared for the worst.
    I thank all of you for cataloging and tracking your progress through aquaponics and such, I have learned a tremendous amount from the various websites available.

14. meddle2243

meddle2243 New Member

I know this is a very old post but I just ran across it. I'm a prepper. Thats why I'm getting into Aquaponics and want it to be self supporting. I've been prepping for some time now. I keep food stored and I keep a BOB ready at all times and a get home bag in the truck. As far as the USA I feel we are in for a great big screwing before long. We are standing by and letting our country into a Muslim run country. People are standing by saying It will never happen to us, But it already started, Just Me and my wife at home to feed and in the last few months the cost of food has went up by about 50%. Gas went up by 20 cents a gallon in the last 3 weeks and they are predicting it will go up by 2.50 in the next 3 months.
    The country is in dept right now deeper that all of history put together. The government thinks they can just print more money. Other country's are not wanting to except our money any longer. Their has been talk of dropping the dollar as the world money.
    But enough of that rant

15. markyg

markyg Member

Australia
    State:
    QLD
    City:
    Brisbane
    It's not just the rising cost of food - it's also the quality (probably more so in USA over AU from what I read).

Too often we find out too late the downside to a particular spray or animal rearing/crop cultivating method. This is ONE of the drivers that got me into AP.

We've been increasingly hoodwinked by big corporations. In AU the trend continues whereby the smaller farmers go broke and the family farm is snapped up by big corporations - often with foreign ownership.

In addition, food bowls are being locked up or in the process of being withdrawn from service in the name conservation and saving the planet. With the increase reliance on imported foods, the end result is a less surety in continuity of food supply.

As far as prepping goes, I see AP as having a greater or lesser role depending on the circumstances. For example, in a 'grid down' situation how many APs are fully set up to run off solar alone to keep the pump functioning?

Furthermore, as a crisis deepens the gap between the 'have' and 'have not' increases. The tinkering of syphons discharging etc will (at least in suburbia) be an attraction worth further investigation that would result in a confrontation to defend what is yours.

Unfortunately, in AU, most law abiding citizens like myself don't own a firearm which reminds me of an old saying: "when guns are outlawed only outlaws will own guns".

16. bigfish

bigfish Member

the video is no longer available all i get is this

"national.geographic.doomsda..."
    This video is no longer available because the YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated due to multiple third-party notifications of copyright infringement from claimants including:
    Happy Funtime Productions Inc.
    The Cartoon Network, Inc.
    Disney Enterprises, Inc.

17. Farmer-Bill

Farmer-Bill New Member

Armageddon!!! Vs preppers!!!

I found this in wikipedia when i did a search..... Interesting reading.... Jehovah's Witnesses believe that Armageddon is Gods war by which he will finally realize his purpose for the Earth to be populated with happy healthy humans free of sin and death.[that the gathering of the all the nations of the Earth refers to the uniting of the world's political powers, as a gradual process beginning in 1914 and seen later in manifestations such as the League of Nations and the United Nations following the First and Second World Wars.[32] These political powers are influenced by Satan and his demons in opposition to God's kingdom.[33] Babylon the Great is interpreted as the world empire of false religion, and that it will be destroyed by the beast just prior to the great tribulation.[34] Witnesses believe that after all other religions have been destroyed, the governments will turn to destroy them, and that God will then intervene....

18. Farmer-Bill

Farmer-Bill New Member

Focus on the word HEALTHY :p

19. Wendy in BC

Wendy in BC New Member

fritz? I'm clearly confused!

20. Wendy in BC

Wendy in BC New Member

Ok, I'm getting it ow. for those that don't know, mike died ast sept.