1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Closet-ponice Is it possible

Discussion in 'New Aquaponics systems - DIY' started by magnusthescott, Jul 24, 2012.

1. capnbrad

capnbrad Member

i have a filter inline of my dwc setup and even though its got some pretty fine filters i still get some sediment in the growbed, so i guess its kinda normal, like you say just siphon it out and compost or spread it in your dirt garden

2. magnusthescott

magnusthescott Member

usa
    State:
    ok
    City:
    wewoka
    moved the last bit of coer in the bottom of my DWC and found.....worms worms and worms...figure i'll let them chill out castings and all

3. magnusthescott

magnusthescott Member

usa
    State:
    ok
    City:
    wewoka
    patience has been a virtue

system is chugging along got some spinach that is rocking lettuce seems to grow to a point and then just wilt. switched letuce varieties and seem to have better growth and much better root growth in the DWC. a few of my little goldfish fingerlings have met the pump so i have plans for a shroud. I need to get off my duff and plant some more veggies especially while i'm off here for a week or more pending a workers comp injury. Still attempting to convince the minister f war and finance for the cash to get a test kit

4. StarTrekTech

StarTrekTech New Member

Hey Magnus, Ga here ....
    $25 totes huh?? good deal .. save some for me....
    You can find Hydroton there in Ok??? how much they asking??? Can only get viastone here in GA ... can't even find canna

5. magnusthescott

magnusthescott Member

usa
    State:
    ok
    City:
    wewoka
    two updates there there is a gent in tulsa planning on firing clay balls but isnt up and running yet

the exporter for hydroton(brand) has quit from Germany viastone is currently in my system with no negatives that i have found but despite viastone's claims it still floats and its still dusty when you get it. most of the time the viastone is cheaper if you can find the two sold next to one another

oh and try looking up organics okc on the web they have a nice selection of everything here

6. magnusthescott

magnusthescott Member

usa
    State:
    ok
    City:
    wewoka
    had an uh-oh today but caught before any real damage... my upper growbed became a DWC the standpipe clogged up with expanded clay...Next bed i make will have a larger stand pipe so the occasional one will just flow through as well as an overflow pipe. no real harm it overflowed and waterfalled back into my fish-tank with minimal losses but now i get to dry some things it splashed and replant the upper bed as it all floated and some of the smaller plants didn't quite make it

7. StarTrekTech

StarTrekTech New Member

you said your standpipe became clogged ... are you using an auto - syphon to drain the growbed? If so, you need a bell, and a shroud to keep the CLAE out, unless you want to run a DWC, in which case, disregard.

re CLAE pebbles, I am currently using viastone, but was interested in Hydroton f I could get it... I am VERY interested in the guy here in the US firing his own ... Put me down for an order !!

8. magnusthescott

magnusthescott Member

usa
    State:
    ok
    City:
    wewoka
    there is just enough room between the stand pipe and the bell for the occasional chipped piece or not full sized peice of clay to come through and about 6 of them clogged the stand pipe they all got caught "just right"

9. magnusthescott

magnusthescott Member

usa
    State:
    ok
    City:
    wewoka
    well back again system still chugging along, went to get some totes guy got shady couldn't/wouldn't tell me what was in them just error d on caution and said no, got a chance at some more that were carrying "potassium chloride" (KCI) can't seem to find anything about it being harmful if i clean them out hoping for some input here from the more knowledgeable members, these totes will just cost me an afternoon fixing a water line for a gent instead of cash.

10. Rob

Rob Super Moderator

Good move there on the totes. If you can't figure out what's in them, it's the way to go...

Potassium Chloride chemically is really not much different to salt, and is still used in fertilisers.
    I don't have any first-hand experience with it, but my chemistry knowledge and available information i would suggest it's a pretty safe option.

Given that it's even used in food manufacturing, and totally soluble, your only issue is usually going to be high levels causing toxicity.
    Even water can be toxic to humans in certain situations (dilution of electrolytes for instance), so washing them very thoroughly is just good practice.

Given that you can get them for trade too, i'd snap them up right away!

Rob