1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Clone List?

Discussion in 'Plants' started by adam.francis, Nov 13, 2010.

1. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

Hey,

I was interested in starting this thread to build a list of Plants that can be cloned from clippings to start new plants..

At first I thought that any Plant can be cloned but I was told by someone that this is not true..

does anyone have any idea's to start us off with?

2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Tomato plants are as easy as it gets.

3. fishfood

fishfood Active Member

All these smaller ones were cloned from the larger one

Attached Files:

4. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

tomatoes are very resilient plants

5. dufflight

dufflight Member

Most plants can be cloned. If you have time grafting is a lot of fun. Give someone a tomato plant with 3 different types of tomatoes growing on it.

6. capnbrad

capnbrad Member

in my ap setup i have succesfully cloned basil, tomatoes, lettuce, strawberries, mint, catnip, and garlic chives simply by pinching off a chunk and sticking it in the growbed.. thats the beauty of aquaponics the GB works just like a clone tray

7. Byron

Byron New Member

cloned? is that simply starting a new plant from a branch of antoerh or is there more to it? ie grafting...

8. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

you got it..

i never would have guessed that you could clone lettuce.. interesting..

9. dufflight

dufflight Member

The GB is a fertile environment. My globe artichokes fell over in a wind storm and they have new shoots turning into a second crop.
    A mate gave me a mint cutting and it has 4 new leaves at the top and new growth along the sides within a couple of weeks.

10. Mantis

Mantis New Member

Got a couple of grape vine cuttings in and they are going strong with new roots and should be ready to plant in the dirt in a couple of weeks.

11. fishfood

fishfood Active Member

carefull you will need to water them well or they will cark iit

12. Mantis

Mantis New Member

So , you reckon let em go in the AP for a while till they get bigger, then plant them.

13. fishfood

fishfood Active Member

I would plant as soon as possable i let some go 12 month and planted they all died
    cos with plenty of water they get big root system and tops then in the dirt they are struggling to maintain it

14. miadeb

miadeb Member

Australia
    State:
    Qld
    City:
    Hillview
    shatoot mulberry propagation

My approach to transitioning cuttings from the grow beds is to pot them and replicate flood and drain by submerging the pot in water and allowing it to drain on a reducing cycle till the plant is hardened off. Then proceed to dirt.

We have wanted to increase our Shatoot mulberry numbers and attempts to propagate using techniques that work with other mulberries have failed. Our gardening group was told by a visiting speaker they are difficult to propagate. But cuttings in our grow bed are showing life with developing buds and fresh new leaves long after the cuttings in pots, done at the same time, had died. If we can transition these to dirt we will be most pleased.

The grow bed has had one failure so far. I put cuttings off pear rootstock suckers into pots and the grow bed simultaneously. The grow bed cuttings failed. Those in a pot are looking good.

15. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

is this most likely for everything? this troubles me because I was planning on starting off all the plants for this upcoming outdoor spring season in the AP system first so that they are a good size when I bring them outside and into the soil..

if true, then i'm going to have to re-consider my whole game plan! or look like a goof infront of the family!

if anyone else has any experience with this PLEASE respond! :cry:

16. capnbrad

capnbrad Member

i havent actually taken plants out of my ap setup for outdoor use but i have had great success using my aerogarden to start plants then moving them outside to dirt, i had a romaine lettuce that was over 2 years old that i put outside and it thrived and i used the seeds from it to plant all the next seasons crop, so personally i cant see many issues if you keep it well watered

17. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

2 yr old lettuce?? lettuce will keep regrowing itself like that?

18. capnbrad

capnbrad Member

i kept it cut short and it just kept growing, i had it inside for most of the time,then after 3 months outside it was like 6 feet tall, with no leaves at all but still alive

19. oceansgreen

oceansgreen New Member

lots man, i have successfully cloned:
    tomato
    basil
    brussel sprout
    pole beans
    also just took a radish cutting yesterday when i harvested, just to see if it'd work

and have heard about cloning so many others, i was suprised the brussel sprout worked so, if i were you i'd just try whatever you want and it'll probably work
    have also seen people clone mango trees from new leaves, clones mature in about half the time as well

tips:
    try to take new growth for ur cuttings
    submerge at least 2/3 of the cutting for root growth
    don't spend money on expensive cloners, all my clones have been done successfully by taking a water bottle and poking a hole in the lid, filling it to the brim and placing my cutting in there
    when you take a cutting, cut the bottom of the stem to a 45 degree angle with a razor or sharp knife to expose more rooting area
    if putting in dirt, transplant when the roots are still small, much less failure

good luck:)

20. bill newton

bill newton Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Wamuran
    its a pity we cant clone people that way!! ---- OR CAN WE????:eek:

carna pies!!!!drinkanimdrinkanimdrinkanim