1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

CANNA Bio nutrients....trials.

Discussion in 'General Aquaponics discussion - Aquaponics system ' started by Murray, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    I have a small quantity of product given to me by CANNA to test in our AP systems as a nutrient boost especially in the early stages of AP systems.

I have run it before and am testing it again and am finding it to be very useful.

I would like to have a half dozen volunteers who are willing to conduct some careful trials on their systems and report back in this thread just how it went for them. This way we will get a cross section of opinion.

The product will be free and I will pay the post cost to get it to you. Chip will be our overseas tester. I really don't want to be paying post to the Arctic or similar and there could be Customs problems for posting a liquid product to some overseas countries. For that reason it will be better if we get mostly Aussie testers/researchers

So first 5 (Chip has already put his hand up) to list their interest in participating in the trials.

See the product here if you want to have a read first.

2. paffoh

paffoh New Member

Interested if spots still going?

3. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    PM me your postal address thanks

4. Jesse Hull

Jesse Hull New Member

I've tested Canna products before in Hydroponics -they performed well. I'm sure I could get some free samples here in the States.
    But I'm growing one last hydro-organic crop before my compost from this summer runs out, so it'll be another 5 weeks before I get my AP system running.

I've initialized small AP systems using other products (e.g., Bio-Bizz), and I look forward to hearing how this goes. :)

5. paffoh

paffoh New Member

Hi Murray (Your inbox is full),

Thanks for the Canna kits...

Good timing as I have pretty much pulled all my old plants and planted again in small seedling stage (With the exception of 2 Tomatoes and the gutter system).

I will document the trial but I think if I was using the product the same as everyone else (Or at least you) it would be far more beneficial than me going to town a different way (So to speak).

What would you reccomend the application be?

(A) Just follow the directions and dilute in 10 litres of water (Watering Can) and pour on 3 times a week?

(B) Some other method.

I tried a bit this evening and its far more 'Brown' than seasol, changed my water to beyond tanin straight away. Fish seem intrigued by it, swimming round and through it... Im dropping the PH a few points over the week, far too much rain recently (Keep this in mind).

Look forward to hearing from you.

6. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    I have been using it as per directions on the bottle. Mls per ltr for my system as a tonic a bit like some members use Seasol.

I also use it as a foliage spray once a week. In this regard I think that healthy plants attract fewer pests. I feel this is working well in conjunction with spraying DIPIL and Molasses. So far this summer I have very few pests in the garden. (hold your breath and touch wood) Usually I have terrible aphid problems on my egg plant bushes. I have two bushes that are on their second summer now. Since using the product as a foliage spray the aphids are under control. There is still some aphids but very few and the plants are looking great. Picking our first fruit of the season now and it is really beautiful perfect fruit.

My systems all run pretty well as far as plant nutrient goes, except for one. The Toteponics kit. Reason for that is I took all the fish out of it over winter and just let it run. Interesting to watch actually. It took a couple of months for the various plants to start showing nutrient shortage. On putting fish back in at the beginning of October the system took a while to start to recover. I found an immediate response (within a couple of days) by the plants in dosing the system with "Bio Flores" as per directions.

I don't think these products are the greatest that ever there was or whatever, but I do feel that they are a very useful addition to a list of additives that can be used in AP systems, safely and with good results. I see them as a good tonic for new systems to aid in the cycling process, and as a general tonic for established systems that may have suffered some sort of setback.

Some sort of setback? For example, I have two other systems that are running outdoors. During last summers flooding rains these systems had a giant flush (all summer long) The fish were happy, loads of fresh rainwater, but the plants suffered terribly. I found that the combined use of "Flores: and "Vega" very quickly got things going again for the plants.

They are a bit expensive to buy retail, but are very concentrated and are excellent quality so they are actually not all that expensive to use.

7. tpilk

tpilk Super Moderator

Received product

Hi Murray,

I just received the Canna products, Bio Flora and Bio Vega this morning - had a long weekend holiday for the King's b-day.

Thank you for the opportunity to participate - will update regulalry.

Chip

8. MattySEQ

MattySEQ New Member

Just a quick report..

So far value for money is the biggest question for me when it comes to this product and from the looks of my plants at the moment especially my capsicum and chilli plants are loving the product so its a winner in my eyes but the big question is would I buy it? I suppose we will know after it runs out :)

cheers,

Matty

9. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    I would only use it as an occasional tonic for my system. Most of the CANNA range are really good but they are at the high end as far as price goes.....I feel
    At the other end is the common Seaweed extract which is low cost but also low impact.

10. tpilk

tpilk Super Moderator

Hi Murray,

I've been needing to send you an update as well. My plants are loving the product. We had a few weeks of very cool weather come through right around the time I used the Flora product. The cold basically stunted or finished out most of cukes I had in containers. My AP cukes have continued to grow, flower and produce fruit. Only the AP cukes are thriving and prior to this, my "dirt" veggies have outperformed significantly (as would be expected with an immature system). My first system is approaching 6 months now, so I'm hoping to just add a bit of "tonic" here and there in the future. In addition, the tomatoes, green beans, lettuce and cabbage all increased their growth rate as well. The cukes were just a great comparison as I had started them all at the same time.

Thanks again for the product - it's a winner in my book. I would definitely buy it to help along a new system in the future.

Chip