1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Cairns Aquaponics

Discussion in 'General Aquaponics discussion - Aquaponics system ' started by David Appleby, Apr 14, 2014.

1. David Appleby

David Appleby New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Cairns
    Hi there fellow aquaponics folks, I have recently completed my first small system made of an IBC cut into two pieces with a variety of veggies and jade perch in the tank. I would be interested in meeting other folks doing Aquaponics in the Cairns area with a bit more experience and all the knowledge for sourcing fingerling in our area, or possibly group ordering from brisbane for species not locally available, i'm very interested in building a larger system and would would be interested in Sleepy Cod. i have also converted my unused pool into a pond and it now has many ornamental plants and 20 barramundi in it as well as redclaw. The barra dont seem to take any pellets i throw in the pool and i think that is because they prefer the abundant insect life in the the pool, thoughts?? anyway thanks for taking the time to read this. Dave

2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Welcome Dave. Love to see some photos of your AP system.

3. David Appleby

David Appleby New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Cairns
    aquaponics.jpg aquaponics1.jpg
    here is the system on day one and then 3 weeks later, im so impressed at the growth rate, especially of the tomatos. unfortuantley the silverbeet was attacked by caterpillars and i have now lost them, so they are now being replaced with chilli, garlic chives and nasturtiums

4. kaiser

kaiser New Member

I'm in Cairns and have a large established system. Will PM you when I get back from Easter break so we can catch up. Also a big system in bungalow - will give you the address later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Aussie Blue

Aussie Blue New Member

Australia
    State:
    QLD
    City:
    Cairns
    Hi Kaiser and Dave I am also in Cairns. I would be interested in looking at other systems as well, I have just finished my first small system and the siphon worked first time. Yippee.

6. David Appleby

David Appleby New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Cairns
    good to know :) what suburb are you guys in? im am in trinity park

7. David Appleby

David Appleby New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Cairns
    well after 6 weeks old the plants in the grow bed are doing really well, after the silverbeet got hammered by pests i have replaced them with garlic chives, a small chilli bush and some nasturtiums, the growth rate really is huge.

Attached Files:

8. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Looking good there David. Thanks for posting the photos.

9. Aussie Blue

Aussie Blue New Member

Australia
    State:
    QLD
    City:
    Cairns
    Mt Sheridan mate.