1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Bunnings Fail/bargain in Perth

Discussion in 'TotePonics - IBC - CHOP Systems' started by Roadside Raider, Nov 22, 2011.

1. DaveOponic

DaveOponic New Member

You make them sound like charity workers or philanthropists. With no disrespect intended I'd say that the time and money invested in their sites reaps its rewards. If their product is good they can stand up to a bit of competitiion or scrutiny. Isn't that what free enterprise is all about?

2. Roadside Raider

Roadside Raider New Member

I am offended by your tone because you have no idea about me mate. I support the little guys, I have bought my pumps, Murray’s dvd, floating baskets and pH kits from BYAP as well as my chooks and soap nuts. I spoke to Faye on many occasions and she gave me her best deal but I had to buy 10 bags or more to get the discount. You don’t need to educate me on the “other side of the coinâ€. We shop at farmers markets and buy local wherever possible. My whole yard has been converted to organic permaculture veggie garden’s and fruit trees, as well as natives and frog ponds and chickens. I want my children to know where real food comes from and how to grow it. I am passionate about upcycling, recycling, composting. I have photovoltaic solar and rain water tanks and I’m working on making my own wind generator from old washing machines. I am an active member of occupy Perth, I hate corporate greed and corruption I one day hope to be off the grid and completely self-sufficient.
    I am sensitive to the fact that shopping at bunnings is supporting these massive companies who have squashed the little guys but at this point in my life, I need to take advantage of a good deal.
    As a moderator you should try to stay impartial and not jump on new member because you’re worried about protecting Murray’s business, perhaps you need to have some forum guidelines pinned to let everyone know what is acceptable and unacceptable to post.
    It seems to me the real reason you got your back up is because you’re protecting the product pricing and sales of these smaller aquaponics businesses, as a moderator, that’s not your job to make those calls. I think you need to look at it from another point of view, aquaponics is expensive to set up, helping others get a good deal on a few bags of hydrostones isn’t going to take away from the Murray or Faye or any other smaller businesses. I just wanted to help out someone who might be in my position, who want to live the aquaponics dream but money is tight.

3. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Splitter!!! :D

Well that's the theory at least!

There in lies the problem, it's not a product that's unique to them. It's not something that they may have designed differently or better than their competitior... it's expanded clay. The only possible USP is price... and we all know who's going to win there.

Free enterprise is a great thing, and people are free to buy from wherever they like... but using a public forum provided freely by a retailer of a particular product, to post a link to that same product on another retailers website, so as to tell the world how they can buy that same product elsewhere and cheaper than the forum provider/retailer sells it, by using the forum providers/retailers own listed price as leverage to get the product cheaper from a massive national company that the small retailer ultimately can't compete with... it's just not cricket!

That's my viewpoint... was it clear as mud! :D

4. tpilk

tpilk Super Moderator

I for one, couldn't put a price tag on the information I've received from these sites. Between questions posted and answered, as well as old threads visited, it would take a hell of a lot of hired consulting to even come close to what I've learned (and have yet to learn). On top of that, Murray goes and throws a free Canna sample out to several folks, myself included, just to test, as I was struggling with an immature system....retail price on the website was $50.00 for the product. It really makes you appreciate that there are people in the business who want you to be successful. How can you not feel some loyalty, if not obligation to support that commitment?

Personally, I have always supported local business. Growing up in a rural area, I've seen a number of mom&pop hardware stores, feed stores, etc. go under when the "chain" stores move in. In the States it's Home Depot or Lowes. Regardless, when you need to find a part for a twenty year old faucet, or talk to someone who actually knows how to fix it, it won't be the big guys who come through for you. I believe the prerequisite for working at Home Depot is 6 months experience at Burger King...

Obviously I don't live in either the States or Oz at the moment, but if I did, I would certainly overstay my welcome in the various AP shops, while making sure I supported their business when I walked out the door. Try asking someone at Bunnings or Home Depot the Pro's and Con's of fishless cycling or see if they can help you understand why your Ph still won't come down right after you've dumped 2 gallons of hydrochloric acid in your system over the past week.

I guess the way I see it, if you find a good deal on something, fine, share it with a friend or whomever. That said, broadcasting it on a site in which the backbone and expertice comes from several folks trying to hammer out of living in this industry, it is a bit insensitive. I'm sure he wasn't even think in those terms - just wanted to pass on a "good deal". No doubt RR's comments meant no harm, but I can see how they might rub some people the wrong way. Nobody requires anything from anybody in exchange for support on the site. That said, supporting the local shops will definitely increase the chances that they'll still be around and supporting all of us in the years to come.

Cheers

5. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Hey Guys......lets stay cool and sweet.

I can identify with both sides of the discussion.

My primary purpose in running this forum is to provide an ongoing info source for my customers, particularly my kit clients who may have some difficulty when cycling their new kit and so on.
    Time spent on here for me anyway, cuts down time I would otherwise have to send on the phone to clients, and they can find out what they need to know anytime day or night, so it is a win win.
    We have loads of clients that join, but never post. They just read and find out what they need to know at the time.

Obviously there are loads of folk who will never buy anything from me...that's ok. It is still a good thing to have the forum.

Obviously we all benefit from the shared info. There is a fantastic depth of knowledge in here. Each one contributes and every now and again some new little gem of an idea will be posted which expands all of our knowledge.

I do not expect that everyone will buy something from me, but at least go and have a look at my shop every once-in-a-while.........and try to support other members whenever it is practical, who are also trying to scratch out a living ...such as
    Rupert
    Yabbies

Did I forget anyone.....It's a bit early in the morning!!!........Lets start a list of those of us that are silly enough to think we can make a living from AP.

6. LifeAquatic

LifeAquatic New Member

Who wins in the end.. the local guy!

Hi guys!
    Firey thread!

It should probably be noted that the bags of expanded clay that you buy from Bunnings here in perth, come from Hydroponics Xpress, I believe..

A local WA family owned business.

So, even if you do buy from Bunnings, the money is eventually going to good people. Hydroponics Xpress/Aquaponics WA has always been very friendly & helpful,
    as well as opening up their greenhouse for the Murdoch University Aquaponics course to view, at no charge. Of course, their main specialty is Hydroponics, but I believe they do also stock Murrays Book & DVD(?)..

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  7. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    That's true... to a degree... but they have two separate businesses, a retail store and a wholesale arm. It's their wholesale arm that's selling to Bunnings, and wholesalers work on very small margins.

Based on what I know other distributors are making per bag when selling to retail stores, and taking into account Bunnings buying power... they would only be making a few dollars per bag, I guestimate about $4... but that's just my guestimate... The bulk of the profit is still going to Bunnings.

Any retailer of expanded clay in Perth can buy wholesale from Hydroponic Express (Aquaponics W.A.) and make a reasonable profit on each bag they sell, probably $15-$20, why not support the small retailer?... who in return will be supporting Hydroponic Express, or another local wholesaler... that way all the $ go to local small businesses… and none to Bunnings!

Cheers!

8. MattySEQ

MattySEQ New Member

I live in bunnings... wish I didn't have to I hate to corperate monkeys. just like coles and woolies our governement oh and can't forget urban utilities as a matter a fact I don't feel very australian anymore because I'm sick of this place and the scumbag rip of merchants..