1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice
  1. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

Hey Folks...

I am the owner of a CHOP2 AP system that is inside a greenhouse... Now, during all my research in the past I never came across anyone who had a 'fruit fly' problem so I am really confused as to what has triggered this infestation in my greenhouse!?

Have any of you guys run into this problem?

thanks,

Adam

2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Someone in your area has left some rotting fruit out or similar. This can attract them. Once they are in your garden then it gets down to control. There are fruit fly traps that work pretty well, and chooks (chickens) pecking on the ground will control their larvae. Only trouble with the chook idea is that the chooks also like to feast on your lettuce and the like.

3. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

thanks for the quick response Murray!

that's my problem... Its in a closed greenhouse and I cant find what could be rotting?!?

I had an Indoor AP unit last year and there wasn't this problem, so I ruled out any fish waste being the culprit...

Could Algae being attracting them?

4. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Hi Adam,

Are you sure they are Fruit fly and not Scarid fly?

5. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

Heyyy Yabbies...

I dunno man, I'm pretty familiar with the fruit fly, but if they have similar characteristics then I probably wouldn't be able to tell them apart...

what would be the main cause to bring about the Scarid Fly?

thanks!

6. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Scarid fly like warm humid conditions where there's organic matter. They are smaller than Fruit fly, have an appearance more like a Gnat (which they are) and will burrow into soil and growing media. If you disturb the gravel in your GB they'll appear out of it.

Depending on where in the world you are, different Fruit fly range in appearance from a slim looking common household fly, to a small wasp like fly.

Attached Files:

7. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

Yup, that looks like the culprit!

do you know of any remedies?

I'm actually pretty grossed out and considering scrapping the system

8. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    If they are Scarid flies, then the larvae will be in the grow media and munching their way through your plants root systems... so hand water a Dipel solution (Bacillus thuringiensis) into the media every 4 or 5 days for a few weeks and that'll knock off the population. They'll still keep coming back for the ideal conditions you're providing, so maybe place some sticky traps around , it'll give you a warning of when they've returned and possibly help control numbers to a certain extent.

I understand in colder climates they move indoors in Autumn. As the outside temps decrease they migrate to the warmth of hothouses, indoor AP or hydro systems, indoor pot plants etc... your indoor system is like Florida to them!

9. keith_r

keith_r Member

looks like our fungus gnats..
    some beneficial nematodes will sort you right out

10. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

thanks guys!