1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Breeding?

Discussion in 'Fish' started by adam.francis, Nov 9, 2010.

1. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

I quickly scanned the fish section and never really came across anyone talking about it..

fish breeding, I mean, you have all these fish in one tank I'm sure they breed, or because their not in their natural habitat their confused about how to follow certain breeding techniques.. (for instance, trout flowing upstream.. or is it down? lol) you get what i mean..

thanks,

Adam

2. Trainguard

Trainguard New Member

Yeah I wonder if they will breed at all as well? Can anyone answer this? Or is it a space available thing to separate into other tanks? Etc

3. acicula

acicula New Member

Only some fish will breed easily by themselves, like tilapia and goldfish. How they are bred varies by species, for example trout will typically have sperm and eggs harvested from broodstock and the fertilized eggs grown out for production.

4. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

Almost all Australian fish will NOT breed in a tank environment... unless hormone stimulated...

Even in pond based aquaculture and hatcheries... fish are hormone induced to spawn... then the fry reared in tanks to a certain size, on artemia and algae... where upon they're placed back into a fertilised pond to feed on micro-organisms...

5. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

that's what i figured.. that's too bad.. but i guess there's gotta some downfall to Aquaponics!!

if they produced like rabbits then the governments of the world would really shoot AP down.. no one would have to buy poisoned food from their grocery stores! :smiley-taunt001:

6. DaveOponic

DaveOponic New Member

Tilapia breed so easily in the tank but so many of the fry are eaten as soon as they leave the safety of the mother fish's mouth. When you keep tilapia, you almost have to try and stop them breeding. I understand that commercial tilapia growers do exactly this.

I wish my Barramundi bread as easily!!

dave

7. Wendy in BC

Wendy in BC New Member

I'm crossing my fingers that these fish don't breed the way I hear they do ..... what the hell do you do with all the little fish??? The man I got them from started off with a small system and now has over 450 fish. I guess I will just be grateful to have found them, and cross the over population issue when it comes.

Dave I'm quite confused at the difference in size of some of the fish. When I brought them home, if I looked hard I could see that some were a bit bigger, now OMG those bigger ones are now bigger than some of the little ones, by a factor of 10!!! Do they mature at such different rates? Some are still really tiny.

8. DaveOponic

DaveOponic New Member

Yep, the bigger ones (bolters) also eat the smaller ones. Although after they reach a certain size, I think they grow out of the cannibal behavior. Also the males normally grow bigger than the females.

Look at it this way. You shouldn't ever need to buy any more Tilapia. I only ever bought 12 small fish - cost $12 (and I was ripped off!)

I did however catch some in the creek and also swapped some fish with a friend, just to keep the gene pool healthy.

Don't worry, a lot of the hundreds of fish born will quickly dissapear if you don't do anything. Take out as many as you need and put them in a nursery tank. i have about 50 now that are a few weeks old in my living room in a small aqaurium tank. I saved hundreds of tiny fish oringinally, most ate their siblings/cousins (not sure if all were from the same litter as there were so many.)

9. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

wow really?? that's great news guys! .. cant you make a contraption of some sort, like the floating laundry basket to separate the little ones?

10. capnbrad

capnbrad Member

just put some screens on the bottom of your tank and raise crawdads underneath, they eat the eggs and you get another food source from your ap setup!

11. DaveOponic

DaveOponic New Member

Not that simple as the Tilapia new borns are tiny. Almost microscopic. When I have tried this there are then problems with poop accumulating on the screen. Also the bolters tend to be able to corner and cannibalise the smaller fish at a faster rate. It seems a better solution is just to let nature take its course. Provide hides so small fry can escape being eaten. The stronger fish will survive and weaker will perish. Natural selection will keep good fish in the tank.

Just discovered a new litter in the verandah pond (see my post on floating rafts for pictures) Have decided just to leave them and see how many grow to maturity. I have not had to buy fish now for over a year. Always enough new smaller fish survive.

12. adam.francis

adam.francis New Member

good points! thanks Dave.. I think there's a great benefit to trying to preserve fish life.. i do believe in Darwin's Theory, but I would hate to have to be thinking when and where I have to get a new batch of fish.. like the veggies, I would want somewhat of an endless suppy.. :p