1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Bell Siphon Drain Idea

Discussion in 'Aquaponics Ideas' started by Tracy Holz, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Tracy Holz

Tracy Holz Member

This Idea might have been thought of or talked about, but could not find it. I did a crude drawing below to help with my idea.
    My grow beds (when I make my commercial greenhouse) I will be doing some fill/drain beds besides deep water beds. I want to make them in a row, but instead of have a few sumps I have the bell siphon drain into a 6" PVC that sloaps down to a "main" sump.
    I know I will have to watch out for maximum flow into the 6" PVC to make sure it does not get to Max fill.
    The 6" PVC will have a hole cut on top to see, move, or tweak the end of the syphon.

bell into pvc.jpg

2. TonyS

TonyS Active Member

Australia
    State:
    QLD
    City:
    Bunya
    Hi Tracey

That is a common setup, I do the same except I put my return underground with risers where the siphon’s dump into.

This is a photo of where my gravel beds went before the beds were made, you can see the two risers coming out of the ground. the risers are located between two beds and have two siphon dumping into each one. I use a 90mm drain pipe, coupled with the extra head from the risers I have never had an issue with too much flow.

Media Bed Location.jpg
    Tony

3. Tracy Holz

Tracy Holz Member

Tony
    Thanks - I was thinking of burying them also - here in Texas we have to worry about heat WAY more than cold - so that would help with the water temperature also.

Glad I was not Way off base here.

4. Rob

Rob Super Moderator

Yes that's a fairly common setup there Tracy.

Especially when you have more than a few grow beds, it simply becomes far more efficient to do it that way.

Rob

5. Rob

Rob Super Moderator

Oh... i forgot to mention... just make sure you don't "seal" the drain pipes to the common pipe. There must be an air gap, or your siphons won't stop.

Rob

6. TonyS

TonyS Active Member

Australia
    State:
    QLD
    City:
    Bunya
    Just to finish things off, this is what it looks like now from under the bed, the 90mm risers have an end cap with two holes that the syphon dump pipes enter through. The holes in the end cap are larger than the syphon pipes to allow air in but not too large to allow cane toads and alike in.

Hidden plumbing.jpg

The pipe in the for ground is the water supply to the beds, gravity fed from the fish tanks.

7. Tracy Holz

Tracy Holz Member

Thanks for the pic Tony