1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Barramundi cannibalism

Discussion in 'Fish' started by Robin, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Robin

Robin New Member

I am hoping to set up my next AP system with Barras.

I know they are cannibalistic, especially at a young age. Somewhere I remember reading that if the smaller size is larger than 2/3 of big size then no problem, but I don't know if this was at the fry, fingerling, or grow out stage.

1. I am assuming that realistically I cannot have multiple cohorts (age groups) in one tank? Anyone have a view on this? The negative impact of this would mean more tanks than I want - an inefficient system.

2. Does anyone have a resource for grading screens/bars, and/or measurements for making your own so I can separate them into size groups.

Thanks in advance

2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Can you even get Barra fingerlings there?

Barra need a water temp over 20C (68F), preferably 25-28C (77-83F), for 6 months to get them to plate size, will you be able to achieve this in Seattle?

3. Robin

Robin New Member

Short answer, Yes and Yes. The latter due to the fact that this will be an indoor system. Just as a side comment: there is an 800 ton p.a. aquaculture facility growing barras indoors in Massachusetts

4. yoodles

yoodles VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    SA
    City:
    Mount Barker
    you can, it will save you feeding the bigger ones for a couple of days!

Barra have the sort of notion of "if i can fit it in my mouth its food"

5. kaiser

kaiser New Member

They don't cannibalise much from 10cm in length.