1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Banana's in Aquaponics.

Discussion in 'Plants' started by Murray, Dec 11, 2009.

1. trebel

trebel Member

belgium
    State:
    w vlaanderen
    City:
    zedelgem
    I wish I could grow bananas here :cry:

2. OzinBrasil

OzinBrasil New Member

Hi trebel,

Amory Lovins, director of the Rocky mountain Institute grows bananas at his house at 8,000 feet/2,400m in the Rocky mountains with no heating. It's probably a similar climate to yours?

He is a big advocate for energy efficiency. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-9jd2OMwJQ He has many interesting things to say.

Cheers.

3. TheFonZzz

TheFonZzz New Member

How are the bananas doing now ??

4. Smallah

Smallah New Member

That black oblong one to the right looks a bit dry, though Whistling

Small AH

5. dbird

dbird New Member

I have bananas growing in ap ,they are doing quite well ,that well that I have to get some bigger pots.
    Cheers Don.

6. capnbrad

capnbrad Member

being in BC i know a few growers of "BC native" "herbs" and the trick with tall plants is to just bend them over and tie them to the ground, if your gentle and do it from the start by the time it reaches maturity you can have it however high off the ground as you want and it wont hurt the plants, never actually tried with a banana tree, but it works for corn and oranges as well as tomatoes and others

7. Fishdood

Fishdood Member

In AU we used to have a comic strip called BC

[​IMG]

I'm not sure they ever grew bananas. Whistling

8. dbird

dbird New Member

Hi murray,sorry for taking so long to answer your question but I must have missed it at the time.
    I have had limited success with them in AP but I am starting to get them sorted out .They go great during the summer but strugle in winter but our water temperature gets down to 5c in winter.It is one of my gunner jobs to make some solar panels to warm it up,I've got all the materials and made a start.I would recommend cavanish as they are not tall,you can pick the bananas while standing on the ground.Java sweet and lady finger grow more than five metres tall.I gave up on Java sweet in AP because the bunchs shriveled up instead of growing.I have one in the ground,it has one last chance.
    Mine are in half 200l blue drums which are far too small as they get very root bound.another gunner job is to put them in a lot bigger GB.The way you have yours looks good.
    I had huge bunch on one this year and just when they were getting ripe the stem broke.Lucky I saw on the tv a few days before where a fellow was on a diet and was eating forty bananas a day so they didn't go to waste.you can ripen them quite small by putting them with apples .I have been told that any ripe fruit will do .
    I will try to load some photos but if they don't appear you will know I wasn't successful.
    Cheers ,Don.

9. Dazlar

Dazlar New Member

bananarama

This is a good informational link (if you can survive the format) http://webebananas.com/culture.html

You can use every part of the banana tree. Take the flower off when you have a large enough bunch. Peel back the purple leaves to the golden centre and you can eat that too: http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipe/11121/Banana-blossom%20salad%20with%20tofu%20skin%20(goi%20bap%20chuoi%20tau%20hu%20ky)/

The weight of the bunch will need supporting, especially as the root system is so shallow.

The tree will only ever produce fruit once, after harvest, cut it down. It propagates from shoots.

"In the heat of summer, you almost can't overwater. In the winter (approx October to March in So Cal) you only need to maintain dampness. Overwatering will lead to rotting of the roots, stressing the plant, and ultimately reducing size and quantity of fruit."

10. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Thanks Don,
    I have taken my Banana trees out of the AP and put them on the ground and am building compost around them. Any clippings or waste material from the greenhouse goes around them now.
    They transplanted just fine, but they are approx 18 months old now and no sign of any fruit. Maybe they are duds.

Thanks for the links Dazlar. I will go there right now and have a read. I really want to succeed with bananas.

11. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

Not in AP... but not a bad result for the backyard in Gerringong NSW...

I've been waiting for these to ripen up... but didn't spot that the whole plant had snapped off....

Anyway... since I cut the bunch... they're ripening up faster than I can eat them...

Might not look pretty.... and this one was a touch over ripe... but they taste as good as anything I've brought at the shop...

Attached Files:

12. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    How long did that take John, from when the plant appeared to fruiting? Got any idea?

13. RupertofOZ

RupertofOZ New Member

The tree was here when I moved in Murray...

Here's a pic of the bunch... taken 04/12/11.... not sure if that's a representative time to ripen... as we had a miserably, cool...and very wet summer...

But I did have a new sucker grow over summer... and fruit... but the bunch was small... and they were really under-developed... and under-ripened...

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  14. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Thanks for that, I am just wondering how long I have to wait for mine to come good.

15. dbird

dbird New Member

Hi Murray,you should be getting close to seeing something before long,usually the trunk gets bigger when there is a bunch coming up .We refer to them as being pregnant.
    Cheers ,Don.

16. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Hi Don,
    Thanks. Just been out and had a good look at them. They don't look "pregnant" but they are healthy and sending out more suckers, so something is happening.

17. llewelynj

llewelynj New Member

bananas take 8 mths to fruit here in NTH QLD. dont know how they go in cooler climates...

18. jedlicka12

jedlicka12 New Member

We have 10 banana trees in our AP project. They are growing SUPER fast.

Normally, when its time to harvest, we just cut the tree at about half way and grab the bananas. This seems to be the norm for banana farms heres.

Because Bananas are not really 'trees', but more of a 'grass' (someone told me they are related to bamboo), they will re-grow without any problems.

19. llewelynj

llewelynj New Member

yup, what your doing is perfect. if you want to give GB a break just cut off a few suckers from bottom and they store very well